• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much would it cost you to keep 20 rabbits?

Do you feed pellets or is it just hay and veggie diet your lot are on?

Also how many bales of hay do you use? I think i could use less especially with the dental buns that just can't even eat hay. I have some really good hay eaters and some who eat virtually non. I think i could definately be less wasteful here too.

Ooops, forgot about pellets :oops:. I use Allen and Page Natural pellets, Get through about a 20kg sack per month at £7.40

Get through about 10kg of Science Selective at £3 per 3kg bag

I also get through a couple of kg of mix and excel, probably about £5 worth

So revised cost for my 30 is about £125. Which equates to about £85 for 20

I use a bale of hay per week. I only use it in litter trays, not for bedding.

Ooops, forgot about pellets :oops:. I use Allen and Page Natural pellets, Get through about a 20kg sack per month at £7.40

Get through about 10kg of Science Selective at £3 per 3kg bag

I also get through a couple of kg of mix and excel, probably about £5 worth

So revised cost for my 30 is about £125. Which equates to about £85 for 20

I use a bale of hay per week. I only use it in litter trays, not for bedding.

Thanks- so there is one cost i could cut back on- hay- i figured i use loads of it. I get through 2 a week at the moment. That reduces my hay costs to £24 instead of £48.00.

I do like science selective- i'll prob just mix in with allen and page and i use wagg optimum too when i'm not using excel for dental buns.

Which mix do you use out of interest? Do you have a site up yet where i can donate a few pennies. It's a massive saving £24.00. I'm really grateful.

Thankyou so much x

Thanks- so there is one cost i could cut back on- hay- i figured i use loads of it. I get through 2 a week at the moment. That reduces my hay costs to £24 instead of £48.00.

I have lots of detal buns who can't eat hay, so I probably get through less than most folks with 30 rabbits, but a bale a week for 20 seems about right.

I do like science selective- i'll prob just mix in with allen and page and i use wagg optimum too when i'm not using excel for dental buns.

The cheapest place for SS at the moment seems to be The Range, don't know if you have one close by?

Which mix do you use out of interest? Do you have a site up yet where i can donate a few pennies. It's a massive saving £24.00. I'm really grateful.

I use Mr Johnsons mix. My 12 year old boy Winston has become a fussy eater in his old age, and enjoys the split peas in it.

I don't have a website yet, but I do have a PayPal account:

wilfordrabbitrefuge@virginmedia.com

Thank you, a donation would be fantastic :D :D

:wave: Could you grow herbs/weeds in the garden? Or is there anywhere you could forage?

The only veg I buy for the buns in summer is spring greens and I grow clover, dandelion, plantain, blackberry, raspberry and rosemary in the garden. I normally forage hazel, willow, apple and hawthorn from my local park which is free :D

I am also able to cut down on hay over summer as the buns eat more grass and less hay.

Cut down on the megazorb - i used to use SO much and now it lasts me months with my three. Theyre trays are cleaned every day - they hardly need it! A little sprinkling in the bottom, with lots of hay and its fine. If they are cleaned regularly its just not needed like you think it is.

I'm near leeds/bradford.

Oh no- that was the total cost of the above- £278, for bedding and food plus another £13 x 2(ecobed for poorly buns) = £304.00 total cost for basics.

I spend money on toys but as and when. I've not included that cost. I do spent £200 in a shop to at pets at home, but yes that isn't essential.

The corriander is 150grams x 2 for £1.50 which i thought was quite cheap. Which are the cheapest veggies in your view?

Yes worked out newspapers would be £39 to buy a months worth if i didn't use megazorb and just did newpaper and hay.

Thanks alot xx

If you are near a JCT dealership in Leeds/Bradford, let me know which one. I can get them to give you their newspapers if they don't already give out. Most of our dealerships currently recycle - but I nick all ours here for me & the Parts guy's guinea pigs:lol:

That is what I was thinking while reading - I bet loads of shops have left over newspapers that they dont need (the daily ones) as they cant reduce them and sell them next day! DEF dont buy newspapers. Ask all your friends and family to save them for you. This is what I do. I only see my parents and nan once every couple of months but i get plenty. You could ask neighbours to save them too?

I would try again with newspaper, my Flopsy is a paper ripper, but I find he only does it if he can see it, if I bury it enough he doesnt notice it, although this doesnt help to save money .. I put lots of layers in his wee corner but dont use it in areas where he doesnt go.

RE veg - Where do you buy from? You can get more value from farm shops, you could also speak to farm shops and small local greengrocers to see if they will sell you any damsges goods (i.e. a bit bashed or a bit limp). They could put them to one side for you if you set up an arrangement - hopefully you will find some who are bunny lovers adn appreciate what you are trying to do. .. not that I recommend feediong your bunnies rubbish but shops have to have things looking nice to sell them and bunnies are less fussy about this and you can cut off bad bits it you need to.
I dont go through enough veg to do this but I always raid the reduced section at my local tesco and the bunnies normally get whatever is on offer. I also got most of a cauliflower left over form my parents roast dinner, they only like the really fluffy bits and were throwing rest away! buns didnt mind though... (nom nom...). I cant really afford to give mine fresh herbs so they only get things I forage of dig from garden such as dandelions.

RB

it might be worth speaking to some local farms regarding the hay. I was paying £5 per bale but can now get for £2.50 per bale :D

Also as mentioned before my neighbours and family save their newspapers. I never need to buy them! Do you have a garden that you could grow veg etc- i know this won't be instant but you should have some for the summer and may cut down on cost a little

I have lots of detal buns who can't eat hay, so I probably get through less than most folks with 30 rabbits, but a bale a week for 20 seems about right.

The cheapest place for SS at the moment seems to be The Range, don't know if you have one close by?

I use Mr Johnsons mix. My 12 year old boy Winston has become a fussy eater in his old age, and enjoys the split peas in it.

I don't have a website yet, but I do have a PayPal account:

wilfordrabbitrefuge@virginmedia.com

Thank you, a donation would be fantastic :D :D

Can i just donate through that email on paypal? Won't tell my other half he will have a fit :)

Definetely lino on all bases... saves a lot of Megazorb!!!

Grow your own weeds etc for greens (tis was I'm doing :) )

Here's the link... http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/rabbit--guinea-pig-seed-mix-50g-79-p.asp (50g is A LOT of seeds :D)

And try foraging too, that way you'll cut out buying veg completely :)

Definetely cheaper pellets :D

Working out costs for my 8 per month (minus vet costs)

Lino - free (got offcuts!)
Hay £4 per 10kg - £4 x 3 = £12
Megazorb £6.45 per 85L - £6.45 x 2 = £12.90 (and this does my rat cages and cat tray too :) )
Pellets - £3.75 per week - £3.75 x 4 = £15.00
Veg (atm as seeds haven't grown)

Carrots - 75p for a big bag tesco value - 75p x 4 = £3 per month
Spring greens - £1 per bag from Asda (bigger bags and cheaper than Tesco) 6 per week = £24 per month
Herbs - end of the day value herbs and grow my own = very cheap or free.

Cost per month for 8 buns - £66.90 :)

:wave: Could you grow herbs/weeds in the garden? Or is there anywhere you could forage?

The only veg I buy for the buns in summer is spring greens and I grow clover, dandelion, plantain, blackberry, raspberry and rosemary in the garden. I normally forage hazel, willow, apple and hawthorn from my local park which is free :D

I am also able to cut down on hay over summer as the buns eat more grass and less hay.

We have some lovely countryside around us, i just wouldn't know what is safe to pick- i could definately forage if i did. I can't even weed because i don't know if i'm pulling a plant or a weed. I have just had a new run i ordered on ebay arrive so will get some more of the buns indoors out to grass. Hermy loves her hay she can eat a 62l storage box full in one day which i find impressive :)

Cut down on the megazorb - i used to use SO much and now it lasts me months with my three. Theyre trays are cleaned every day - they hardly need it! A little sprinkling in the bottom, with lots of hay and its fine. If they are cleaned regularly its just not needed like you think it is.

Thanks will bear this in mind. Do you use newspaper under too.

If you are near a JCT dealership in Leeds/Bradford, let me know which one. I can get them to give you their newspapers if they don't already give out. Most of our dealerships currently recycle - but I nick all ours here for me & the Parts guy's guinea pigs:lol:

I could get my other half to drive me there- that would be absolutely great thankyou so much!

We have some lovely countryside around us, i just wouldn't know what is safe to pick- i could definately forage if i did. I can't even weed because i don't know if i'm pulling a plant or a weed. I have just had a new run i ordered on ebay arrive so will get some more of the buns indoors out to grass. Hermy loves her hay she can eat a 62l storage box full in one day which i find impressive :)

Here's the link... http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk...x-50g-79-p.asp

Every seed in this mix is fine for buns :D

I've just got through 3 food storage boxes and have seeds left over from the 10g pack :D That's a lot of food :D

Why doesn't this surprise me? :p Good old Hermy pops :D

You could grow yourself some plants. I've just started growing loads of wild plants and herbs, they are doing really well. I'm not a green fingered at all but as they are basically weeds they are seeming pretty easy to grow. I got compost and little pots fairly cheaply in a pound type store.

Definetely lino on all bases... saves a lot of Megazorb!!!

Grow your own weeds etc for greens (tis was I'm doing :) )

Here's the link... http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/rabbit--guinea-pig-seed-mix-50g-79-p.asp (50g is A LOT of seeds :D)

And try foraging too, that way you'll cut out buying veg completely :)

Definetely cheaper pellets :D

Working out costs for my 8 per month (minus vet costs)

Lino - free (got offcuts!)
Hay £4 per 10kg - £4 x 3 = £12
Megazorb £6.45 per 85L - £6.45 x 2 = £12.90 (and this does my rat cages and cat tray too :) )
Pellets - £3.75 per week - £3.75 x 4 = £15.00
Veg (atm as seeds haven't grown)

Carrots - 75p for a big bag tesco value - 75p x 4 = £3 per month
Spring greens - £1 per bag from Asda (bigger bags and cheaper than Tesco) 6 per week = £24 per month
Herbs - end of the day value herbs and grow my own = very cheap or free.

Cost per month for 8 buns - £66.90 :)

Thanks for the breakdown of costs hun i really appreciate that. Miss hermy loves her hay- can eat 62l a day easy and two big bowls of pellets ( and she isn't getting big)! Flopsey eats hardly any of the meadow stuff, only likes special stuff. Not sure if he was like this when he was with you? Going to take them for a check up next week. I'm doing this with all the buns and updating any vaccinations that need doing as we have lots of wildies around here. He has had his castrate. I can try bonding now and hermy can eat all that hay he leaves daily :) I'm sure it's been long enough :) Will let you know how it goes xxx

Thanks again for the tips xxxxxxxxx

You could grow yourself some plants. I've just started growing loads of wild plants and herbs, they are doing really well. I'm not a green fingered at all but as they are basically weeds they are seeming pretty easy to grow. I got compost and little pots fairly cheaply in a pound type store.

My sister does this- will ring her for advice- i think she is always in the pound store buying seeds and tray. I have some trays from when i was with her but never started- can i grow carrots or cabbage in a pot- i can't dig up the gardens here, but i'd love to grow my own.

Back