• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amber's not herself today

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
Amber is acting differently today. I notied yesterday when i fed the pellets she styed upstairs and i had to coax her downstairs, same happened at veg time but i didn't think anything yesterday. Today she has been lying down all day and hasn't moved to pee, so she's soaked in her own wee. Against my will my dads bum bathed her in Jey's fluid a disinfectant for floors:( I'm not sure if she's eating today but i was wondering if it sounds as if somethings wrong with her.

We are going to ring the ets tommorow morning if she is acting the same tommorow.

Amber is acting differently today. I notied yesterday when i fed the pellets she styed upstairs and i had to coax her downstairs, same happened at veg time but i didn't think anything yesterday. Today she has been lying down all day and hasn't moved to pee, so she's soaked in her own wee. Against my will my dads bum bathed her in Jey's fluid a disinfectant for floors:( I'm not sure if she's eating today but i was wondering if it sounds as if somethings wrong with her.

We are going to ring the ets tommorow morning if she is acting the same tommorow.

OMG JEYES FLUID IS TOXIC TO RABBITS!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE GET AMBER TO A VET NOW. I AM SORRY TO BE BLUNT BUT IF YOU DONT SHE MAY WELL DIE.

Sorry for caps' but I cannot emphasise strongly enough how URGENT this is

Janex

I agree it's urgent she gets vet treatment for not eating as her guts have stopped and she will be in a lot of pain.

As for the Jeyes fluid :roll: would he bath a child in it?

i can on ly really re-iterate what Elve & jane have said, "Please, please please get Amber to a vet today".
Jeyes fluid is toxic to them so you will need to tell the vet just incase she has ingested some & if she hasn`t eaten or pooed for 2 days she urgently needs veterinary treatment.

Sorry to sound abrupt, but this really is urgent!

Su.x

Why did he bathe her in Jeyes fluid? As opposed to washing her with a bit of shampoo etc?

Can only say what others have and my fingers are crossed that she hasn't swallowed any and that it was very dilute. Maybe rinse her again in the meantime in case any remains on her fur for her to lick?

Thats just great, me and my dad do't have a great relationship so he always thinks he's right and it's animal friendly he said. I told him hundreds of times not to but while i was on har typing he had already bathed hre in it, he said it was very diluted but that doesn't matter. :(

Amber is under the PDSA under my mams name and i don't know i they have out of hour service. I'll go check my mas PDSA booklet and find out. Oh what am i going to do my dad hates the number of rabbits i ahve, probably did it on purpose to kill the aount down :cry:

She's normaly a fiesty bun won't let me handle her but she isn't even putting a struggle when i was checking hre over, she did eat some vg last night when i coaxed her down but not sure about today.

Going to go speak to my parents now:(

Thats just great, me and my dad do't have a great relationship so he always thinks he's right and it's animal friendly he said. I told him hundreds of times not to but while i was on har typing he had already bathed hre in it, he said it was very diluted but that doesn't matter. :(

Amber is under the PDSA under my mams name and i don't know i they have out of hour service. I'll go check my mas PDSA booklet and find out. Oh what am i going to do my dad hates the number of rabbits i ahve, probably did it on purpose to kill the aount down :cry:

She's normaly a fiesty bun won't let me handle her but she isn't even putting a struggle when i was checking hre over, she did eat some vg last night when i coaxed her down but not sure about today.

Going to go speak to my parents now:(

Sweetheart its not your fault. You should not have been put in this position by a supposedly responsible adult. Just try to get Amber to a Vet and hopefully they will be able to help her.
I am sorry I was so blunt in my last post, I was just horrified at the thought of a Bun being bathed in Jeyes Fluid.
Please keep us posted as to how Amber is doing

Janex

He won't ring the PDSA not even for advice, he says it's not an emergancy jeyes fluid is animal friendly. Yeah for cleaning idiot. He should not have done that Amber is my rabbit and i said no. He said he was only trying to help but it looks as thouhg he's made it worse. My mam promised she'd phone as soon as they open tommorow but what if it's to late, i'll never forgive him if she dies just beaue he can't admit he's wrong for once:cry: :cry:

Last edited:
As the above people state this is an emergency and she must be seen by a vet asap. Her situation before the cleaning fluid was very urgent and even more so now. Can your mum try phoning the PDSA now?? :?

She won't my dad said no because he would have to drive us and he does't want to. My dad is it's just a rabbit attitude he thinks it's not worth getting them spayed even though i told him about the cancer risk cos it will cost £150 for all 3 girls (i'm paying yself). My mam won't argue wih my dda because she dosn't want another fight to break out.

I feel so bad for taking them on now i only meant to keep one and rehome the other 3 to my ssiter but when sh fell through i didn't wan tthem to go somewhere else i got so attached i kept them, althouhg i love them i regret it for all the fights it has caused:cry:

I went out to clean there hutch and Amber looks really bad her eyes are quite closed only 1/2 open and she looks very sad. Still sitting where i put her half an hour ago.

My mam said she'll be ok till tommorow but how does she know i mean if i roke my arm would she leave me till tommrow to go to hospital:(

I'm still asking her though, just trying to get across why it's so important.

Last edited:
He won't ring the PDSA not even for advice, he says it's not an emergancy jeyes fluid is animal friendly. Yeah for cleaning idiot. He should not have done that Amber is my rabbit and i said no. He said he was only trying to help but it looks as thouhg he's made it worse. My mam promised she'd phone as soon as they open tommorow when my dads at work but what if it's to late, i'll never forgive him if she dies just beaue he can't admit he's wrong for once:cry: :cry:

OK, so is Amber dry now after her 'wash'? If not then you need to get her as dry as possible. Have you got a snugglesafe heatpad? If so set up an indoor cage/pet-carrier for her and place her near the heatpad. Is she drinking? If not then you need to get some fluids into her. Have you got anything like diorolyte rehydration sachets in your human medicine cabinet. If so, mix one up and attempt to syringe some into her. If not then mix up a pint of boiled water with half a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of sugar. Allow it to cool and attempt to syringe some into Amber Be VERY careful and only give the oral fluids slowly so as it does not 'go down the wrong way'.
Is Amber eating anything at all? Try to tempt her with some hand picked grass/dandelion leaves. Even if you can only get her to take some fluids that will help and it is VERY important that she is kept warm so she MUST be indoors and with some sort of heatpad. I am so sorry that you have been put in this position :cry:

Janex

Last edited:
Do you mind me asking how old you are? I have always got the impression from your posts that you are an adult still living at home? If you are responsible for the rabbits you need to have a word with your parents and tell them that you will ask for their help if you need it. If he isnt happy about the amount of rabbits you have he shouldnt have agreed to let you have them really while your still at home. Sorry if you are younger than I thought by the way :D

I assume the PDSA is like a chain of vets? Cant you get your mum to call tonight? Or is there anyway you can get your bunny to a nearest vets? I think all vets have an emergency service and most will let you set up a payment plan :D

Well we fully dried her off before putting her back outside in the hutch is totally enclosed so it's warm, like a ini shed. We don't have a heat pad or those sachets. She just seems to be sitting there in the same place it's hard to tell if she's drank or eating while i'm not there.

Im going to try try a bowl o water and some hand fresh grass now to see what she does, i'll be repot when i've tried:(

I think you should bring her in so you can monitor exactly what she is eating and drinking, and like Jane said she will be a lot warmer inside. Its been quite chilly out at night for the past week or so. Do you have a hot water bottle you can wrap a towel around?

I don't have hot water bottle. I'm 19 still living at home and me and my mam have shared responsibilities of ourrabbits thats why there under her name at the PDSA. The PDSA is like for people on benifits like my parents because she claims them it's under her name and they only let the registerd person make calls, take the pet there etc.

I'm worried about why she seems to be squinting her eyes only 1/2 open, i tried a piece of carrot and some water but she's nudging everything away and staying in her corner. I really tried expressing my concern but she tutted at me, rolled her eys and wouldn't even take 2 minutes to listen to me:(

I need her help becaue i just need her to ring the vets, i give her the money towards the donation she just takes her there:(

Could you not still ring the PDSA and ask for advice? They'll talk to you as your over 16 and depending on what they say maybe you could pass them on to your mum and they could convince her of how urgent it is?
She really does sound very unwell. I really think its a very bad idea to wait til morning, it doesn't sound like she can wait that long. :cry:

I know this may seem a bit dishonest, but when you ring just give your name as your mums? Or ring a vets yourself and get some advice, it's free to phone vets for advice, surely they can't object to that? Perhaps if they hear that the situation is urgent from a qualified person they will take it more seriously.

Also if you have money yourself could you not just sign her up to a vets and get a bus to them?

If your 19 and have shared responsibility of the rabbits you dont need your mum to call a vet for you :D Any vet will see your bunny, they arent going to turn you away because your bunny is registered somewhere else. I think you should just call the closest vet to you, if you are paying the vet bill it shouldnt make any difference to your parents, and if they just dont want to take you I know taxis allow people to take their pets in carriers in the car because thats how I got my cat to the vets before I was driving. Im still living at home and my mum wouldnt dare do anything like that to the bunnies, nobody here is even allowed to feed them anything unless they check with me first. I think you really need to have a word with your dad and let him know that he has put your bun at risk, I know its probably going to be really hard but at the end of the day you are 19 and they are your bunnies :D

I'd try contacting external family and friends to see if anyone can get her to a vets. This is urgent, and if not seen to, I doubt Amber will still be alive in the morning.
You can't afford to waste time. This rabbit is dying.

Back