• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Castration

sj_harry

New Kit
Hi there

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice please?!

I have a 2yr old house rabbit who has not been neutered. This is because he only has 1 testicle and my vet has said it will be a risky procedure as they would need to search internally for the other testicle. She said this when he was just a baby and to have a rethink when he was 2.

I was quite happy to take the vets advice but now he has reached 2 I'm wondering what to do.

He's never bitten anyone, he's not at all grumpy and he never sprays - the only thing he does do is get a bit 'fruity' with mine or my husbands leg. As this is pretty manageable (altho not very nice!), I'm ok to leave him as he is but I'm a bit concerned about the health risks to him (cancer etc.).

Does anyone have any advice/experience of this?!

Many thanks in advance

SJ (and Harry!)

Hiya,

I've only heard about females getting cancer if they aren't spayed so he should be alright if you wanted to leave it, the only reason I can think of for getting him neutered is if you wanted to get him a female friend. :)

Hope that helps.

Eunice

If you're keeping him as a lone bunny then I wouldn't worry too much about getting him neutered, especially if his other plum still hasn't dropped.
Males don't have the same risks with cancer, but neutering can help him lose his need to bonk everything in sight!!

Back