• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing advice please :)

Jocelyn

Mama Doe
In an *ideal* world, after Kitten is spayed [when my lovely vet feels she's big enough] and recovered, her and Shadow will be bonded [they're already lying next to each other and eating together between the cage bars so I think it's a good sign *fingers crossed*].

As I don't feel shadow's cage is big enough for 2 buns who will be in during the day, I was hoping for some recommendations. Shadow is a mini rex at about 2kg and Kitten is a Lionhead [she's 900g at the moment but I'm guessing she'll get at least a little bigger!]. Would a 5ftx2ftx2ft hutch be ok for them? They are kept indoors but I don't think they make cages that big!!

Thanks in advance as ever :)

[I'm addicted to this forum now, it's wonderfully busy and full of lovely people who give good advice :)]

How about a 48 inch dog crate and then adding a shelf so its two tier it should be big enough for your buns during the day as their only small and you could always add a play pen, dog crates are also really cheap which is a bonus ;)

I bought a 42 inch dog crate and it's just so ghastly and doesn't actually provide any more room than Shadow's cage does, it's just a shedload taller, over 3ft wide and generally a pain in the bum! Really didn't get on with it so it got disassembled and is now being used as an assistant bunny proofer in its flat state :) But you're right it was cheap - 40quid brand new inc postage. Think I will donate it to a rescue that might like it more than I did [if they'll come get it :)]

Yes, dog crates are always a good idea inside. You don't need the insulation so a wooden hutch isn't really necessary. I've got a 48" crate with a shelf although they are also free range in the living room all day. A few people have recently got three tier indoor cages which look pretty big...cheekytikka got one not long ago.

I bought a 42 inch dog crate and it's just so ghastly and doesn't actually provide any more room than Shadow's cage does, it's just a shedload taller, over 3ft wide and generally a pain in the bum! Really didn't get on with it so it got disassembled and is now being used as an assistant bunny proofer in its flat state :) But you're right it was cheap - 40quid brand new inc postage. Think I will donate it to a rescue that might like it more than I did [if they'll come get it :)]

ooops sorry cross post. The three tier thing might be a better option for you then...I know what you mean about crated being awkward but it works for me at the moment at least.

ooops sorry cross post. The three tier thing might be a better option for you then...I know what you mean about crated being awkward but it works for me at the moment at least.

Yeah that sounds like a better idea as it's better off going upward and having more levels than being a big fat beastie taking up a truckload of floorspace in my room without it actually providing any more space!

Any idea where I could get a 3 tier jobby?

Yeah I've seen those, unfortunately they don't look like they'd be tall enough for my mini rex to stand up in properly!

And the pen is on 24 inches high, which my mini rex could easily jump over :(

I have just got this cage for my bun. He's an average sized bun, and can stand up no probs in the tallest bit in the middle. He does have a lot of free running time too.

DSC00097.jpg

It depends really on how you plan to use the cage. Will they have any free range time - if so, how much? How much of the day will they be shut into the cage?

I have just got this cage for my bun. He's an average sized bun, and can stand up no probs in the tallest bit in the middle. He does have a lot of free running time too.

DSC00097.jpg

Ooh yeah I was looking at that, now I've seen an actual bunny in it it does look good :) *waits eagerly for pay day*

It depends really on how you plan to use the cage. Will they have any free range time - if so, how much? How much of the day will they be shut into the cage?

Well I'll be aiming for no cage eventually [might not be for some time though!!] currently they are in the cage for half a day during the week and pretty much out all weekend - I want them to have plenty of space when I'm out to work because I hate leaving them and thinking they're cooped up :(

Back