• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cataract???? (Jane - HELP!!!!!)

Hi all,

I gave my bunnies a health check at the weekend and when i checked Jacks eyes the right one was in a terrible state.

I took him to the vets a while ago and turned out that the cloudeness in his eye was a cataract, and was about the size of a 5p - and they told me to keep an eye on it.

WELL... yesterday i looked at his eye and the cloudeness has covered his entire eye and is very weepy... also when i pulled back the fur around his eye there are about 5-6 small white lumps - could these be sores? his eye is very weepy - doesn't look bloddy or ulcery - his eye is very cloudy!!

Does any one know what is wrong with him and what the treatment could be?

He is going to the vets later - and would like to find out before i get there as im really worried

Are the lumps actually on the eye, or on the skin surrounding the eye? Is there any swelling of the area?

Are the lumps actually on the eye, or on the skin surrounding the eye? Is there any swelling of the area?

lumps are on the skin surrounding the eye - he is such a fluffy bunny - his eyes looked fine a few weeks ago - but it wasn't till i pulled the fur back that i found small lumps and its quite reddish and looks very sore :(

poor bunny!!

Check around his face and head with your fingers if you can feel any others. Has be been vaccinated recently?

I suspect, but cant be CERTAIN, that the sore areas are from the constant discharge from his eyes. If the cataract has increased in size he may also have developed Uveitis (inflammation of the middle layer of the eye). Was he treated for EC? Cataracts are one of the possible consequences of EC.
I would take him back to your Vet today. He obviously needs more treatment which may well consist of Panacur ( to treat for EC), Eye Drops and anti-inflammatories.
Please let us know how Jack gets on

Janex

I suspect, but cant be CERTAIN, that the sore areas are from the constant discharge from his eyes. If the cataract has increased in size he may also have developed Uveitis (inflammation of the middle layer of the eye). Was he treated for EC? Cataracts are one of the possible consequences of EC.
I would take him back to your Vet today. He obviously needs more treatment which may well consist of Panacur ( to treat for EC), Eye Drops and anti-inflammatories.
Please let us know how Jack gets on

Janex

Thanks Jane

I will keep you posted - he is at work with me at the mo - seems ok in himself, very nosey and adventourous as usual.

Ive checked around his face and head, no other lumps apart from near the cataract eye. he has very dry skin tho around the other eye.

you know when we get stung by a stinging nettle - thats what the lumps look like - white lumps and looks a bit sore.

can i treat him with anything at work? can i clean it up with water or something?

You can bathe the eye gently with warm mildly salted water in the interim. Good luck at the vet.

You can bathe the eye gently with warm mildly salted water in the interim. Good luck at the vet.

I have cleaned around the eye with warm salt water - looks like the lumps were 'dry' skin - the skin looks very sore still - i want to put some sort of cream on it for him - but i have nothing here!!!!

I would wait till you've seen the vet as he/she may prescribe some.

i will do - its just it looks so sore and painfull for him - i wish i had something to soothe the pain!!!

i will wash around his eye again at around 3 before i go to the vets - as some of the skin is still remaining.

How did it go, my bunny Nibbles has cataract

S4020165.jpg

When we had harley here he had EC cataracts and an eye infection so it could be that the symptoms are part of different ailments. Matted fur putting pressure on the skin can cause lumps and sores to develope and salty discharge from the eyes is very irritant and clumps the fur together. When dry it resembles dandruff.

Hi all

Sorry ive been so busy lately

Jack is fine and on eye drops 3 x a day and ive got to go back for a check up tomo so il let u know more then.

his skin is a lot better - a bit dry tho but the vet said the eye drops are also used for skin problems and should sort it out which it has :)

Hi there,

I used to put vaseline on the skin around Alices eye to stop it getting sore from being wet all the time. Its also a fab moisturiser! :D

Gemma xx

Back