• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A hello and some advice needed

sugarnspice

Young Bun
*Waves*, hello, new to the forum, came on the hope that someone out there can offer some information/help on what to do.
Our rabbit (Scampi) will be 8 this year, last October the poor chap had his leg amputated after he broke it, he is a house rabbit, on his own since his sister died but alwasy has been fine with it.
Last night he was sat on the sofa next to me whilst I was on computer on a different chair. He suddenly started making this noise- I can only describe it as a person wheezing, the only time he seemed to relax was when I picked him up and held him. Took him into the room next door and put him down so he could have a little run around. He was hopping round my feet very anxiously, again until I picked him up.
Then tonight, he was running around perfectly happy for about an hour when he did the same thing again, again calming down when I gave him attention. I put him in his cage to see if he would be okay but he was up at the bars clearly not happy.
Any-one got any ideas? Would really appreciate it :)

Hello

I would take Scampi to the Vet ASAP. 'Wheezing' can be indicative of a Respiratory Tract Infection which requires urgent treatment.
From what you describe Scampi is not a happy Bunny so the sooner he sees the Vet the better

Please keep us updated

Janex :)

Forgot to say in OP but the 'wheezing' stops as soon as I hold him, I've also noticed that he lets it all 'hang out'. If that makes any difference.

Hello and welcome to RU. I don't have any advice but just to say hope Scampi (cute name :love: ) feels better soon

Fiona x

Back