• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Neutering

charl343

Warren Scout
Hi, thanks for everyones help and advice over the weekend regarding vaccinations and neutering. I picked Paddy up on Sunday, he is meant to be a mini lop but he is quite big!! He is very loving and cuddly however, before when I brought him in for a run around, he decided to spray wee all over me and he is randomly pooping not only everywhere when he is inside playing but in his hutch, I am guessing this is him leaving his mark in his boy bunny way! So he has been booked in to be neutered on Wednesday. However I am already worring about it alot! I'm worried he might be unhappy and associate the unhappiness with me and not like me too much!! The vets have been really helpful explaining everything about what will happen and that he needs to have a bit of his favorite food for his recovery and his own water bottle etc. I am just looking for a bit of reassurance on how things have gone with other people, not only good stories but bad aswell so I know things to look out for!! I am already very attached and it has only been 2 days! Also he will probably need to be inside overnight b ut as he is an outside bunny all his hutch etc is outside so will he be ok in a big cardboard box with lots of hay etc to keep comfy or will he escape somehow??
Also (sorry this is soo long!) he has had a weepy eye yesterday and today. I am guessing this is to do with the fact he loves being nosy and sitting at the front of his hutch watching everything and it has been extreamly windy so I have bathed his eye with boiled but cooled water with a tiny bit of salt (in the water not just sprinkled in his eye haha) and cotton wool. I say it is weeping but I havent actually seen it, he just has bits of fur stuck together around his eye but I cant see anything actually wrong. Obviously when he gets neutered I will ask the vets to check it out but is there anything I can do in the meantime?
Thanks
paddy4.jpg
paddy3.jpg
paddy2.jpg
paddy1.jpg

Don't worry about the neutereing - he will be fine and he will forgive you too :D
I wouldn't keep him in a cardboward box. He could jump or chew his way out!
Have you got an indoor cage or a large pet carrier? Otherwise you could put him a small secure room like the bathroom (shut toilet lid!) and give him some comfy towels or fleece to lie on.

As far as the eye goes - he could have got a bit of dust or hay in it that has irritated it. Keep a check on it and if it gets worse ask the vet. But obviously good to mention it to the vet before neuter. The vet should give him a thorough check over to make sure he is fit fo the op anyway.

Hi i don't claim to be an expert but i'll tell you my experiences of neutering. Basically i had exactly the same situation as you at Christmas. On boxing day we were at my Mum's when my Dad plonked Obi on my lap. He went to the pet shop to get food and there was an adult bun there who needed a home. So I gave him one.

Within a day he spayed me countless times and i Knew i couldn't carry on like that, so i booked him in for the following wednesday. I felt really guilty but I knew that in order for me to give him a happy home i needed to be happy too! I would have ideally wanted to get to know him first but it was obvious that his hormones were getting in the way.

He went to the vets and everything went well, He even sprayed me twice within half an hour of getting home. His own way of getting back at me i suppose :twisted: :twisted:

Be aware that their hormones can take a long time to settle. Obi spayed me for about 5/6 afterwards. I dont get a golden shower now thank goodness! :roll: :roll:

Charlie was castrated last Tuesday. Again all good and no probs. Was slightly slow at eating but did eat his favourites which i was pleased with. The vet recommended for me to keep him in but as he's a shy bun i decided that he would be more streesed indoors. So I covered his hutch in a big blanket to keep out the drafts. Plus we had the benefit of already having the hutch in a sheltered spot. Is there any way you can do the same?

I've also had two girl buns neutered. One was fine and the other Nibbs had quite a bad reaction afterwards. She wouldn't eat so she had to go back to the vets for another painkiller jab which did the trick and she was fine within a few days

Sorry to ramble on but i thought that these points would help. basically my experiences of neutering are good. They need a bit of TLC but rabbits a such amazing animals that they usually cope. Just keep an eye that Paddy is eating and pooping enoungh. :lol: :lol:

Good luck,

Gemma

I'm lucky not have this problem, Buttons is such a good lad no spraying me or anything, best part is aprt from a few stray poos he uses his litter box every other time and no poos in my bathroom tonight :D He has to be done to bond with my girls but you can just keep him in his carrier for the night if it's large, it's what i'm planning on doing :)

I was worried too when it came to getting Smoke-Fred done however it all went fine and dandy :D if he had the hump with me removing his crown jewels he didnt show it :lol: :lol: its a simple procedure. He stayed in doors for the night to recover from the op and he was back to his normal (chewing) self the next morning :roll: :lol: With female neutering its more complex, of course as they have to go 'in' to remove parts.

Do you have a portable run you could bring inside whilst he is recovering? He could live in that, with his pet carrier inside as somewhere to hide etc.

Hi, thanks for all your help, he has a large pet carrier to sleep in and if needed I can borro a puppy pen type thing from a friend. Now I just have to worry about tomorrow!!! hopefully all will go well. Just out of interest what amounts does everyone feed their bunnys? I have been feeding him a generous handful of excel pellets in the morning with half a carrot and in the evening a small handful of pellets with cabbage leave and a bit of banana or broccoli. He also has endless amounts of hay, topped up every day but he doesnt seem to be eating much of this?

Thanks

Hi . Try cutting his pellets down to a small handful in the morning only. i.e about the size of an eggcup full. As long as he is eating plenty of hay and some veg he'll be fine. You may find he eats more hay when you reduce the amount of pellets you give him. I'm sure all will go fine tomorrow, but fingers crossed for you anyway!

Back