• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not sure if Sweep is poorly/update from Vets

cara

Alpha Buck
I know many rabbit owners face this dilema - not sure if my rabbit is poorly or not.

I have made an appointment for him tomorrow at the vets though.

You know when you just feel instinctively that your rabbit is 'not quite right' - he is pooing and weeing okay.

Apart from not quite the same enthusiam over his pellets he is eating okay. He does seem more subjued (sp) though. I think I have may have heard him either snuffle or sneeze, but again, though it sounds silly, I am not sure...

Right, if he does have some sort of snuffles, which anti-biotic would you hope the vet would prescribe. Ours only ever seem to use baytril. Would this be the best option. Jane - I know you are pretty expert on medication - any suggestions? (and everyone else of course!)

Thanks in advance
Cara

If your bun is snuffly, a culture sample will need to be taken to ensure which anti-biotic will work properly. :D

First I'd ask your Vet to check that your Rabbit does not have sharp spurs on his molar teeth. These can make a Bun sneeze and they also go off hard food.

Your Vet would also need to thoroughly examin your rabbit (heart/lungs/tummy/bladder/ears etc)
If Vet diagnoses a respiratory tract infection then I know my Vet would opt for treating with Septrin (Co-trimoxazole) in the first instance. My Vet is of the opinion that Baytril is not very effective for RTI's

Janex

Thanks for quick replies.

In fact I have now made his appointment today instead of tomorrow as I am concerned and do not want any possible problems to escalate.

Will let you know how he gets on.

Thanks again.

Cara

Quick inspection by at my vets has revealed some spurs on molars pointing inwards towards tongue so I guess this could be his problem

Now, my vet has been very open and told me that other than 'hand burring' they do not have the technology of an electric burring tool.

A vet in Lytham St Annes has been recommended, but she is on holiday until Wed - too late I feel.

So, we have decided to hand burr temporarily with my vet under a GA tomorrow, and then another GA when the more expert vet returns to the other practice.

Does this sound okay?

Cara

Hi Cara
My two bunns have had this problem too this week, and have both been in to have their teeth done.

I dont know much about hand vs. electric burring, but I would think it would be best ot go with your vets option tomorrow, as you mind find he goes down hill very quickly without it, and it would be awful if that coincided with the christmas period.

Mandyx

Hi Cara
Not sure where you are but I can recommend a bunny savvy vets in Woodplumpton, nr Preston/ Kirkham - sounds like you live in this area too?

Always handy to have a good recommendations for vets to hand - I am in Southport, so yes please - recommend away!

Cara

Gosh thats a fair distance to go! Well this is closer for you at least. I've used them for three years and had 2-3 dentals from them so they're good!

Its Davies & Johnson tel 01772 690380. They're in Woodplumpton, on the main road through. Can try and find a map if you need it?

Good luck!

Back