• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alfie's Tongue abscess advice on treament plz

Krispy85

Young Bun
Hi following my post 'Help tongue abscess' im getting concern that i might not be doing all i can for the treatment of the tongue abcess- to refresh alfie went for a dental last monday and the vet found he had an abscess right at the back of his tongue which had burst. It had been caused by a spurr on his tooth. He has been on antibiotics 0.6ml twice daily and metacam once a day. is there anything else that can be done?

Ive been researching on the net and cannot really find anything relating to tongue abscess, all general abscess info mentions about flushing it daily or taking swobs. I just dont no what else to do, is there something the vet could give me to help keep it clean?Im worried its coming back and i wont know till it bursts again. I am syringe feeding him with meds and he is eating some hard food and veggies on his own, but he is still mouthing a bit which i dont no if its the abscess or his teeth feel strange after being rasped?

Its so hard to tell if im doing the right thing one moment i think he is alright he seems ok hopping round my room and nudging things and tucking into his dinner then other times he will just sit and look unhappy- I know anthropomorphism is v bad science, he does teeth grind which i know is related to pain but he has always done that since ive got him and we almost thought it was a habit like crib biting in horses. its so hard wen i cant find any info on successful recover from a tongue abscess. I had a rabbit before with a cheek abscess which burst externally and came back 3 times before it went completely each time the vet wanted to put him to sleep.
Anyone Know of other treament the vet could prescribe for like stoping it getting reinfected and coming back? sorry for the long post, im just desperate to do everything poss for my baby.
Kristin and Alfie

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice but I just wanted to say I hope Alfie will be ok, I know how hard it is when they seem fine and then your not sure if they are or not. Healing vibes to Alfie.x

Abccesses are always difficult to treat, but it sounds like the vet is doing whats needed. It may well come back but never had rabbit with one in the mouth. The pus it makes travels on its own so theres no telling what will happen. Give the antibiotics time to work. Your rabbits mouth will take a while to heal. Sorry i carnt be more posetive but an abccess is a bu--r to clear. val

Back