• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss?

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
I don't know if I'm worried over nothing, but I've noticed recently that I can feel Evo's spine a bit when I stroke him. He's always been quite bony, I've always noticed that I could feel his bones a lot more than with my previous bunnies, although the vet has always said he's a bit overweight.

Now I'm 99% sure it's because he's moulting - he's going through a mega moult at the moment, and is no-where near as furry as usual. I've not noticed any other symptoms though, and he still has a fat belly when he lays flat on the floor. No change in the amount that he eats, drinks or poops.

The only other thing I thought it might be was his change in diet from Excel to SS, I know that SS isn't as rich, maybe he needs a bit more quantity wise? This change was around 2/3 month ago now.

Of course I'll take him to the vet if he needs it, but I don't think it's anything serious at the moment, seeing as he seems fine otherwise. His behaviour is as naughty as ever, and the bits of his coat that aren't moulting are lovely and shiny.

Yes, I'd get a accurate weight check on him then re-weigh him a week later. If his weight has gone down perhaps a Vet check is in order.
Has Evo ever had the symptoms of 'Snuffles' (snotty nose, sneezing etc)?
If so I would get your Vet to check Evo over early next week. Weight loss can be the first sign of a 'flare-up' of Snuffles.

Janex

No, no sneezy symptoms or a runny nose at all. I'm going to get some scales though, and watch his weight for a week or so, and see if he loses any more.

He's not feeling skinny anywhere else, to be honest, I don't know if he's always been like that, I tend to fuss him more around his face than stroke him along his back, just wonder if I've not noticed before.

Have just weighed him using the kitchen scales and the back of a picture frame, helped by some porridge oats. He's about 2.6kg.

I don't know how big he is but that weight sounds good. Albert is underweight and I can feel each and every nobble on his back. Poppy is just right and I can still feel bumps, but that is what they are bumps as opposed to nobbles if you know what I mean!!!!!!

Even so, the vet has signed Albert off with a clean bill of health. I would keep an eye on any dramatic weight variations over the next week or so, then if he is losing lots, take him to the vets.

Well according to the BRC website, if he is a dwarf lop, as I think he is, he's still 300g overweight. I guess I'll just try to weigh him a couple of times a week for a few weeks, and see how he goes.

overweight?!

Sophie is a dwarf and weighs in at 3kg and the vet says that is about right.

I hope he is ok and that there is nothing wrong xxx

loopylop said:
overweight?!

Sophie is a dwarf and weighs in at 3kg and the vet says that is about right.

I hope he is ok and that there is nothing wrong xxx

Maybe he's a mini lop then? Or maybe just a cross breed. He's quite a petite chap really. He's certainly got quite fine features for a lop, so who knows.

He was weighed when he had his dental back in January, so I can check with the vet what he weighed then.

Yeah the breed standard for a dwarf lop is around 2-ish kg but that's not to say that any heavier is necessarily 'overweight' - they just could be bigger all round than the supposed breed perfection.

Back