• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Benny goes house hunting

elve

Banned
Since Tia arrived, Benny has looked rather fed up in his dog crate - no more can he run out of the kitchen door onto the patio - there are 4 piggies in the kitchen...What's a guy to do? Leave home of course!

Luckily I just so happened to build a flat pack hutch yesterday :D Blood sweat tears AND blisters (no I didn't cry, I swore profusely instead) from the **appy hutch company... :wink:

I didn't build it wrong either - I meant to have the hutch facing one way and the run facing onto the patio! - so my baby can go for a run out very easily, and catch the winter sun the in his living room :wink:

Tia has one too, but the **appy hutch company sent me a bust panel - I may cobble it up with a piece of wood, or I may wait patiently for a replacement :roll: :x

Note I had to move the door latch as it was in the wrong place :roll:
Note I got resin all over my hands - a nice finish when your work gloves are lined with white fleece :roll:
Note one of the doors to the run is so badly made that I need a hammer to shut it :roll:
Note I expect perfection :roll: :lol:

Benny isn't moving in today - he's just looking - it all needs a lick of paint, and nice cosy covers for the coming ice age...I put some Science Selective (ooh his favourite!) on the rungs of the ramp, and some inside - he thought it was Christmas :lol:

ahawhatsthis.jpg

oohsuprisefood.jpg

hmmtheresmore.jpg

heyhey.jpg

niceview.jpg

roomybedroom.jpg

nofear.jpg

waahnottoosure.jpg

thinking.jpg

Awww that looks great im sure Benny wuill be very happy in his new home.

Well done you for building it from a flat pack :shock: :D

Lovely hutch set up there, and im impressed you built it up. I wouldn't know where to start with stuff like that! :p

Benny is goooooooooorgeous!!

Lovely pictures, he looks very happy in his new home. I have been looking at those hutches on the internet as I am going to get a big hutch for when Max and Millie finally live together 24 hours a day. Which model did you buy - and are you pleased with it?

Jane x

Nice hutch..

Well done for putting it together am impressed...i do not have the patience for things like that!!

Maxbun, i recently got a jumbo double delux with attached run from hop-and-hutch. It comes already made which is why i went for it.

Its very spacious Alfie loves it, and hopefully when i get him a girlfriend she'll love it too!

Awwww Great new house and I'm sure Benny will love it -Elve Are you doing a Blue Peter on the inside of this one as well :lol:

Fantastic piccies! Looks like he'll b e very happy in his new des res!

hi

Aww thanks everyone :D If only I had time to shave my legs and pluck my eyebrows these days - I'm starting to look like Bob the Builder, and we're living on ready meals, crisps and chocolate :roll: :lol: I'm just badly organised :wink:

It is very crowded here! - Now I'm keeping the piggies, the 'temporary' 2foot cages are way too small - all 10 of them! :shock: and I've spent over £1000 since getting the piggies - There goes my life savings - worth every penny I think :)

It's a Happy Hutch 2x5 hutch over run - but I wouldn't recommend them as like I said, the door to the run isn't made properly, and one of the panels on Tia's is bust open - useless! They said they'd replace it, but there are only so many fine sunny days - not that my hands and neck are up to doing another one this week anyway - I hurt! :(

I chose it specially so I could shut Benny and Tia upstairs when I let the girls in the shed out for a run, but have doors opening onto the shared patio - they start fighting whenever Benny is around - This evening they went out and had no idea he was inches away :lol:

Benny loved it so much, and I am so desperate for space in my tiny house, that I couldn't see any good reason to bring him in again - He's spending the night there! :shock: Hope he's OK - It's not cold so ideal for acclimatising him to living outdoors, and he's shut in the top bit securely - the latches can't be knocked down as there are wooden butts under them...Basically, it's been treated, and if the wind blows under the bedroom door well he won't feel it as I've given him a bigger litter tray (2'x16" underbed box with 5" sides - fits perfectly) with lots of newspaper, megazorb and hay in - He had his veggies in there and looks really happy :D

When Tia's out there and they are bonded (only a matter of time I'm sure) I can easily join the 2 hutches together and they'll have a 9x2 double decker - more floor space than a 4x8 shed!

I am dreading building Tia's though :roll: Not quite as heavy, as it's only 4x2 - If I hadn't wanted the doors facing 2 ways I'd pay more for a ready made hutch :)

OMG elve when are you going to stop? Your resistance levels are soooooo low :shock:

Only joking you have a very good heart and Im not surprised you fell in love with her she is gorgeous :D

Benny looks very pleased :D That's a very nice hutch. I bought a 6ft one of theirs and it had problems too. The piece for the floor was only a 1mm thick and a catch was broken and there were huge gaps all around :? But I ended up getting it for half price so I was happy in the end :D I bought another piece of plywood for the floor and sorted it out. Strawberry and Clover seem to like it. They don't have a run - just the whole garden area :lol:

And now I have bought two of their triple indoor hutches. I got them to make a 5ft by 2ft version. They are too low for rabbits, but are great for the piggies winter quarters :D I got the wrong thing though. They sent one with ramps when I ordered without :? But on reflection I can make bedroom areas, or put in little houses, but making ramps is beyond me so I'll live with it - or rather the piggies will :lol: The second one hasn't come yet, so I don't know if I get ramps or not this time :roll:

hi

1mm thick! :shock: Cardboard's thicker than that - and they're not a cheap company to buy from either! I think I'll phone and ask for 10% off both hutches - I haven't checked Tia's hutch yet, just the run part - I dread to think what I'll find! I bought 2 of the indoor double 4x2 hutches as well, which were quite nicely made and now full of baby boys - I hope they don't fall out with each other as they get older :roll:

I also bought a 2x5 outdoor hutch for Charlie, Abbie and Beattie to go in - but that idea's shelved so it's in my living room too :shock: I wish I'd bought an indoor one now then at least I could put a telly on the flat roof :wink:

Benny is out there thumping - probably woke up and wondered where he was - I hope the floor's thick enough to cope! :shock:

well done building the hutch . was it easier than the shed?
my house is filling up too . got hope upstairs cos shes too skinny to go out side and after the state she came in i dont want her ever to be cold again. she woke me up scrabbling about in her cage no end of times last night but darnt put her downstairs cos nemo is very terretorial.

Angie

hi

Aww thanks - you've had a busy morning posting Birdiebun :D

Benny has settled in now - didn't even bother coming downstairs yesterday as he was busy eating hay on the toilet :?

I put a blanket over the hutch last night as it was so cold, but he decided to eat the hutch as he didn't have a view - so I guess he likes the wind in his hair! :shock:

Tia's still indoors...no trouble...no rush to put her outside really...not in any rush to kill myself making another hutch either...might not share her with Benny after all :rabbit2:

The only thing is Elve if she is going to go outside she needs time for her coat to get thick enough before it gets really cold.

Back