• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outside in this cold snap

bundit

Warren Scout
I'm thinking of the best way to keep my rabbits warm and happy. They are outside rabbits, they are free in the garden when I'm home and also visit the house.

I've put a wraparound specially fitted cover on their hutch, a cardboard box full of straw in their bedroom. They have 24h access a reasonable sized (6x9foot) run. This morning their water was still frozen in their hutch. I was expecting the outside water to be frozen, but in the hutch I'd hoped it would be a little warmer.

So tonight I fixed a door mat to stop the cold getting in the wire door (now it's dark in their for them!) I also put a thin fleece on their roof.

The next step is a microwavable heatpad - I have one, but I'm actually concerned about using one because:

I'm thinking, using a heatpad will interfere with them getting a good thick coat.
If the heatpad doesn't last all through the night, they will be even colder!
If I put a heatpad in, then I have to do it constantly, every few hours and I'll be at work....

Anyone use one and know how long they keep warm for? Any replies appreciated. Thanks.

I'm thinking of the best way to keep my rabbits warm and happy. They are outside rabbits, they are free in the garden when I'm home and also visit the house.

I've put a wraparound specially fitted cover on their hutch, a cardboard box full of straw in their bedroom. They have 24h access a reasonable sized (6x9foot) run. This morning their water was still frozen in their hutch. I was expecting the outside water to be frozen, but in the hutch I'd hoped it would be a little warmer.

So tonight I fixed a door mat to stop the cold getting in the wire door (now it's dark in their for them!) I also put a thin fleece on their roof.

The next step is a microwavable heatpad - I have one, but I'm actually concerned about using one because:

I'm thinking, using a heatpad will interfere with them getting a good thick coat.
If the heatpad doesn't last all through the night, they will be even colder!
If I put a heatpad in, then I have to do it constantly, every few hours and I'll be at work....

Anyone use one and know how long they keep warm for? Any replies appreciated. Thanks.

I've found it really varies depending how cold the place its sat in is ...& I've only used them inside. So it helps if you bury them in straw or wrap with fleeces etc. The heat obviously wanes over time. I know nothing about outside bunnies but won't they already have their outside coats. Regardless I honestly don't think they'd have enough of an impact to do that.

Snugglesafe heatpads will go through the night if they are in a of a pile of hay. They stay warmer for longer if you use 2 together (but heat them separately in the microwave). I don't use the fleece covers - so wrap in a couple of layers of newspaper. If they are placed directly on eg the floor, they cool down faster. I've got some in with the guinea pigs at the moment - in before 4pm and still warm to the touch by late morning.

The heatpads shouldn't affect the rabbits' coats. They don't provide enough heat for that, just a comfy bed area.

I use 2 layers of runner type door mats over the mesh doors at these temperatures, with the looped side inside and the rubber facing out. They are longer than the hutches so they tuck round the sides, drop just below floor level, and go under a roof overhang. It's nearly always enough to stop the inside water bowls freezing. If it gets colder, I use an extra layer. I also have a max/min thermometer hooked on the outside of the mesh door to monitor the hutch temperature.

Thank you so much for your replies. I also use the rubber type doormat. The problem I have is their tube leading to run let's the cold in! I'm going to try the pad I think. Perhaps buy a few more and use 2 at a time.

I use a large thick cardboard veg box from supermarket for their bed and fill with straw, I think I'll put the heatbad in the box under the straw.

Last question, do you feed your rabbits more in winter? Mine have tonnes of fresh veg, limitless good hay, but just an egg cup of pellets each...I'm thinking more pellets?

I only feed more pellets if they are losing weight. Fresh greens are in shorter supply (forage from my allotment), so mine get some dried stuff (willow, apple, etc) instead and more hay. I go through twice as much hay at this time of year for bedding (it stays wet so has to be changed more often, and they need more bulk for warmth) and for eating. Pellet volume stays about the same - just a small amount to get them back in the hutches at night and check they are eating OK. Eating more hay is the healthiest option.

I only feed more pellets if they are losing weight. Fresh greens are in shorter supply (forage from my allotment), so mine get some dried stuff (willow, apple, etc) instead and more hay. I go through twice as much hay at this time of year for bedding (it stays wet so has to be changed more often, and they need more bulk for warmth) and for eating. Pellet volume stays about the same - just a small amount to get them back in the hutches at night and check they are eating OK. Eating more hay is the healthiest option.

Thanks Shimmer, it's tempting to give them more pellets as it's so cold!
They do have a lot of veg, perhaps too much and unlimited hay.
I buy a big bag of greens, and give them a few massive leaves each, twice a day and brocolli, kale and those posh cavolo leaves and rocket... to be fair they eat better than any of us. They have dandelion roots too daily.
We are wasting away, but the rabbits are fine ;)

Snugglesafes are definitely worthwhile investment, I do leave mine in the fabric pouch because my rabbits don't identify that as food. Cardboard/newspaper they just eat which is quite annoying.

Mine have stayed down the bottom of their run for most of the cold snap which is a bit frustrating, but I guess they aren't that bothered by the cold as they have a snugglesafe/straw area at the top of their hutch...

Snugglesafes are definitely worthwhile investment, I do leave mine in the fabric pouch because my rabbits don't identify that as food. Cardboard/newspaper they just eat which is quite annoying.

Mine have stayed down the bottom of their run for most of the cold snap which is a bit frustrating, but I guess they aren't that bothered by the cold as they have a snugglesafe/straw area at the top of their hutch...

Mine did the same, I put two snugglesafes in a cardboard box (their bed) covered in tonnes of straw and they still sit out in their run!

I also put some bubble wrap on their roof covered in a fleece type thin blanket. I'm noticing the water is not so iced up in the hutch, so it must lift it a degree or so.

I use two and the second one always heats up a lot more than the first one, even though they are in the microwave for exactly the same amount of time. I think the microwave needs heating first, so I put a glass of water in their for one minute then heat up the snugglesafes.

Back