• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Just managed to capture Nala to put her to bed and made the most of it and had a good look at her bottom, feet and mouth. Her nails are pretty long.. ive done a few but she kept kicking me so i'll do a few more tomorrow.. they look twisted? Her bottom looks quite clean and not too smelly today at all so thats great. But her teeth.. hmmm Her mouth is quite a bit bigger than simba's so i havent really seen bigger teeth.. Her front teeth are big altho are in straight line and do meet but her mouth doesnt seem to shut totally. Also behind the front teeth there looks like some bits sticking out behind them.. bit hard to explain. She is eating well and seems just fine but are they likely to be something wrong with her teeth? or just maybe how they are wearing down now she is eating hay?
Maaike.. if u read this.. do you know if your vet checked her teeth when she was in?

Oh heavens!!! I'm sorry I can't give advice as I don't really know much about bunny medical conditions...I would take her to your vet for a proper check up to put your mind at rest though. Keeping everything crossed that she gets the all clear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bunnies actually have two sets of insisors! The ones you usually see and also 'peg teeth' which grow just behind them. This are very thin, only a few mill across, you wouldn't usually see them though. Generally you can only spot them if the teeth are over grown or the other front set have been removed.

If she hasn't been on a proper diet before it may take awhile for her teeth to wear down normal and she might need a quick burr so they are aligned to wear properly. If your worried then get a vet to check them out.

Big bun teeth should look pretty much like little bun teeth just scaled up :D

Nails can get twisted if they get over grown and if they have over grown in the past they may take a while to straighten out as the whole length needs to grow out straight again. If her diets been bad that wouldn't have helped either. Being cut properly should sort them out with time.

Tam

When the rescue got Violet in they told me her nails were badly overgrown and when I got her they were twisted a bit. I have only had her since December but with regular trimming they are starting to look and grow like normal nails now.

I don't know if you have any but Cosmos and Violet love the WWW chewsticks - in fact there's are all gone whereas Zeus and Athena's are still relatively intact. That might be a good idea to wear her teeth down faster.

I am sure now she is with you and has loads of scrummy hay it won't take long to correct!

And as Tamsin said big rabbits' teeth look like little rabbits teeth; they are just easier to see and more painful if they meet in your arm ;) !

Caz

aaaah thanks.. That makes sense tamsin as they are just little thin bits behind the main teeth. Will keep an eye on them but as she's eating well i guess theres no prob just yet as i think she would get pretty stressed out going to the vets. I will probably get her spayed in a few months so will get them to check and do anything needs doing at the same time.
Thank you.. that puts my mind at ease a little now :D

Ohh that site is interesting - I think I will bookmark it for later to look at all the diagrams!

Caz

I have seen too many x-rays of rabbit's teeth recently - Zeus to be exact ;) ! Nice to know what I am looking at now.

Caz

oh wow thanks Tamsin there are some good piccys on that site.
I just had a good look all over her again while we had a cuddle and i noticed that she never stopped chattering her teeth.. like we do when we are cold.. is this likely to suggest probs with back teeth? or is it just one of those noises she makes? She was very relaxed while i groomed her and trimmed her nails and had a cuddle.

I can't totally remember but DO remember having a rant with a friend that a bunny having never eaten hay (= your Nala) had good teeth, and so many people with bunnies on nothing but the best hay have teeth problems, so she must have had them checked and been given the ok. Bare in mind, that's been a good 3-4 weeks now, hasn't it? I can't remember when I posted about her (I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night!!)...so I do believe she got a dental ok, although she was in for her bottom and not much attention would have been paid to her teeth, knowing the nurse who did her... :roll:

hehe thats ok Maaike. Im going to book her in to be spayed soon so will get her checked over before hand in case they need to do anything.

Sometimes bunnies gently grind there teeth when getting nose rubs. They can sometimes do it with teeth problems too though :? It might be an idea to get it check so you can stop worrying, spurs can be quite painful if she has got them as its like a sharp tooth cutting into the check/tongue and can cause bad ulcers. She shouldn't need knocking out to look, they vet will just peek in her mouth with an ear scope :D

Tam

Ah ok.. i'll ring them tomorrow morning and get her checked over then. Thanks.. i thought they would have to be knocked out to see the back teeth which is why i figured they could look when she was spayed. Will let u know

Just to let you all know she's going to see the vets thursday so will let u know how it goes. I noticed yesterday one of her eyes is quite wet around the edges.. cant decide if its where her fur gets stuck to her eye or maybe it means probs with her teeth so will find out soon.

Good luck for Thursday, Diddeen. I'm keeping everything crossed for you both that its just a bit of fur in her lovely blue eyes. xxxxxxxxx

All my buns grind their teeth when theyre being stroked or having nose rubs.I can feel the slight vibrations that they are making along their bottom jaw line. Its a gentle noise like a cats purr and we always call it 'talking' or 'chattering' :D

If she needs a dental they can do that at the same time as spaying her. Poor Rob is going to be bombarded with dental bunnies this week as I have got a couple that need checking as well :shock: :lol:

Cheryl

Back