• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lillys teeth

lucy24

Mama Doe
Taking lilly to the vets to tonight as I've noticed her bottom teeth curling inwards. You cant notice until you really look in there but feel bad I didn't see sooner. Anyway my question is, what will they risk doing since she's 11 yrs old and quite fragile? Also the cost of things is always a consideration at the moment which I hate to say.

Well she's had her teeth burred at the front. Only one was long the rest were OK. She's much more comfortable! She does have a small lump by her ear but for now we're monitoring until a follow up next week. Also got some eye drops and pain relief.

I had a rabbit who used to have his front teeth burred every couple of weeks. He was easy to handle and didn't need sedating for it (not to be confused with a conscious dental for molar procedures), so it was a very quick and easy procedure - and therefore relatively cheap. Any dental issues need keeping on top of as it seriously affects what they eat - so they can lose weight or go into stasis so easily.

I had a young bunny who was born with a front tooth malocclusion and she had hers burred in the office without sedation every two months. Of course, your bunny may be a one and done. Perhaps she may have cracked the opposing tooth/peg tooth that allowed the lower tooth to grow too long.
Sending vibes for her follow up.

Agree with both Shimmer and bunny momma. Also, the lump at the ear base might be an ear base abscess. I would discuss this possibility with the Vet and also discuss the most ethical way forward to manage it given your Bunnies age. *If* it is an ear base abscess palliative management would probably be the best option rather than invasive treatment.

Glad Lilly is feeling more comfortable now, hope that continues. Sending lots of vibes for her to stay well x

Thanks Everyone. Yes she did mention about ear base absess abd said it would be good to follow up with their rabbit vet next week. So going to do that. Its so hard at this age to get a balance between treatment and what is fair to put her through.

Thanks Everyone. Yes she did mention about ear base absess abd said it would be good to follow up with their rabbit vet next week. So going to do that. Its so hard at this age to get a balance between treatment and what is fair to put her through.
Ear base abscesses can involve some pretty invasive treatment BUT a conservative palliative approach involving long term abx and analgesia can be an option when more aggressive treatment would not be ethical. I have had that situation to deal with numerous times over the years.

Back