• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oliver Breathing Fast - 2 Days post bladder flush

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
So Oliver had his bladder flush on Thursday, all went well, and he was doing well yesterday interested in food though I was giving him metacam for a bit of teeth grinding. But overall he was lying in a comfortable position. This morning he just seems off plus his respiratory rate is alot faster. He ate some of his food but is siting a bit hunched. I spoke to vet and have given him some tramadol at 2pm with ranitadine 30 mins before. I know it does take a few days to get over the flush but he is now behind the TV cupboard hunched but with his nose down into the corner. He has also had some sub q fluids today too. I'm so worried. The vet (not my usual vet) said the breatting could be pain related. Since giving the tramadol I have only heard him grind once. He moved from behind the TV for a few mins sat beside the fireplace then has went behind the TV again. I will try and upload a video of his breathing. I am reluctant to just go to a vet just yet after his procedure only a few days agi but maybe in the morning if his breathing isnt any better to just check his lungs. Everything was going well. I can't understand.

So Oliver had his bladder flush on Thursday, all went well, and he was doing well yesterday interested in food though I was giving him metacam for a bit of teeth grinding. But overall he was lying in a comfortable position. This morning he just seems off plus his respiratory rate is alot faster. He ate some of his food but is siting a bit hunched. I spoke to vet and have given him some tramadol at 2pm with ranitadine 30 mins before. I know it does take a few days to get over the flush but he is now behind the TV cupboard hunched but with his nose down into the corner. He has also had some sub q fluids today too. I'm so worried. The vet (not my usual vet) said the breatting could be pain related. Since giving the tramadol I have only heard him grind once. He moved from behind the TV for a few mins sat beside the fireplace then has went behind the TV again. I will try and upload a video of his breathing. I am reluctant to just go to a vet just yet after his procedure only a few days agi but maybe in the morning if his breathing isnt any better to just check his lungs. Everything was going well. I can't understand.

Poor man, is he on antibiotics at the moment ? Whilst an increased respiratory rate can be due to pain, it can also occur if the Rabbit has a respiratory tract infection, especially a LRTI.

Has his wee output been OK since his bladder flush ?

No he isn't on antibiotics Jane. Yes i think he has been peeing ok since his flush, there was pee on the kitchen tiles and I saw him lift his tail for peeing on his mats but as he was in ok form and I had to wipe up pee I wasnt too concerned but I am watching now to see / feel just to be 100% sure now. He is pooping as saw some pellets. He's just shifting alot :(

Hi Nicky

I am so sorry that you have a worry over Oliver at the moment.

I tend to agree with your vet, that it sounds very much like it's pain related. I also agree with you though, it would be a good idea to get his lungs checked out.

Don't forget he's had a GA and that will also be working it's way out of his system, and with a bit of pain on top he may be uncomfortable.

I'm glad he's had some fluids. That always helps :)

There is a local vet who started about a year ago is very good here and she is on this weekend so if I have to take Oliver to get his lungs checked this evening or in the morning I will . I took Cody to her overy a weekend and she was very good. It's just scaring me as Oliver is breathing a bit like Cody did when he had pneumonia though maybe not just as fast. How could a lrti happen so soon after a bladder flush ??? His xray showed perfect health. I don't want to stress him going too soon and to give him a chance to maybe improve in the next few hours .

Hi Max, didn't see your post unto after I posted again. Well I will give him until tomorrow to see how he is and as long as I have Tramadol and metacam to at least try and cover the pain. I hope it is just pain. I felt his mat and there was a small wet pee patch so at least pee is still coming out but I will continue to check.

There is a local vet who started about a year ago is very good here and she is on this weekend so if I have to take Oliver to get his lungs checked this evening or in the morning I will . I took Cody to her overy a weekend and she was very good. It's just scaring me as Oliver is breathing a bit like Cody did when he had pneumonia though maybe not just as fast. How could a lrti happen so soon after a bladder flush ??? His xray showed perfect health. I don't want to stress him going too soon and to give him a chance to maybe improve in the next few hours .

Hi Nicky

I knew he had had an X-ray and the vet would've told you if there was anything untoward. I really wouldn't worry about that at the moment.

To reassure yourself could you ring the vet and get them to look in his records and relay again to you that there was nothing visible on the X-ray and that his breathing was completely normal throughout the procedure.

What's the weather like with you the moment?

Right now my vets out of hours vet doesn't work for them so wouldn't have access to Olivers records. Would have to wait until Monday but I agree my vet would defo have spotted something. The weather is quite nice 20 degrees so don't think too warm for him . He ate a bit of broccoli just now and his baanna with glucosamine in it. He has lifted his tail a couple of times just now but I felt the mat and no pee, but like I said I had felt it earlier but I will continue to check loads. Any possibility that his urethra or something could have swollen and prevent him from peeing ?? He is now digoing up the corner of his vet bed and biting the wooden floor underneath. Oliver has never been a digger or biter of flooring so this behaviour is out of character.

I'm sorry to see this :( Poor Oliver :(

Is it very far to your OOH vets? Personally, if you've decided to take him either this evening or tomorrow morning, I think I would go this evening. That's possibly more to do with my inexperience in issues like this than anything else and I know I would worry.

Sending hugs, Nicky.

My rabbit savy vet is 60 miles away but I wouldn't be able to see her til Wednesday abyway and the OOH vets are vets who do not work at the practice. So I would rather see theocsl vet I mentioned who is 2 mins away. Thank you Omi for ypur concern. I will wait until 9 or 10pm and see how he is then as might go tonight.

Here is a video of his breathing :(

https://youtu.be/JPTAAycYyqo

Right now my vets out of hours vet doesn't work for them so wouldn't have access to Olivers records. Would have to wait until Monday but I agree my vet would defo have spotted something. The weather is quite nice 20 degrees so don't think too warm for him . He ate a bit of broccoli just now and his baanna with glucosamine in it. He has lifted his tail a couple of times just now but I felt the mat and no pee, but like I said I had felt it earlier but I will continue to check loads. Any possibility that his urethra or something could have swollen and prevent him from peeing ?? He is now digoing up the corner of his vet bed and biting the wooden floor underneath. Oliver has never been a digger or biter of flooring so this behaviour is out of character.

Absolutely :)

Any procedure involving that part of a male's anatomy will make it difficult for them to pee for a while. It should settle down, and in fact *must* settle down or it can get very painful. Just make sure he drinks OK and watch for the peeing.

I have a suggestion for you, but for reasons we both know, I shall have to PM you ;)

Back