• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

William off his food

capable

Mama Doe
My boys got neutered on Wednesday, and while Jack is back to his usual self, William has been off his food. He was groggier than Jack when I collected them, the vet nurse said he'd had to be given more gas(?) and so was taking longer to fully bounce back.

They stayed indoors Wednesday night, where he had some greens, then back outside on Thursday. He had about half of his morning and evening nuggets, some hay, and all his greens. Today he didn't touch his morning nuggets, but tucked into his hay and was hungry for greens this evening. Am I expecting too much for him to be bright eyed and cotton tailed? I've only had experience of cats and dogs post-neuter 😕

I would expect him to be more back to normal maybe tomorrow. Sorry I can't offer any explanation as to why he needed more gas? Maybe someone more knowlwdgeable will be along. I would think that the extra gas is resulting in a slower recovery time. At least he is eating, just not keen on his nuggets at the moment. Did you have to take them back for their 2-day check?

My boys got neutered on Wednesday, and while Jack is back to his usual self, William has been off his food. He was groggier than Jack when I collected them, the vet nurse said he'd had to be given more gas(?) and so was taking longer to fully bounce back.

They stayed indoors Wednesday night, where he had some greens, then back outside on Thursday. He had about half of his morning and evening nuggets, some hay, and all his greens. Today he didn't touch his morning nuggets, but tucked into his hay and was hungry for greens this evening. Am I expecting too much for him to be bright eyed and cotton tailed? I've only had experience of cats and dogs post-neuter ��

Have you checked his surgical wound ? If he is very bruised/swollen he may be in pain and pain causes a reduction in appetite. Is he pooing ? Is he drinking and weeing ? Personally I would call the Vet this morning for advice, good luck x

They stayed indoors Wednesday night, where he had some greens, then back outside on Thursday. He had about half of his morning and evening nuggets, some hay, and all his greens. Today he didn't touch his morning nuggets, but tucked into his hay and was hungry for greens this evening. Am I expecting too much for him to be bright eyed and cotton tailed? I've only had experience of cats and dogs post-neuter 😕

I would be inclined to agree with tonibun here, that the extra gas necessary for the op has made him take longer to bounce back.

He could be in pain after the neuter - did the vet offer you any pain relief at all for him? It might be worth ringing the vet this morning - especially as it's the weekend. You wouldn't want him uncomfortable over the weekend when there's only out of hours vets.

What's the weather like with you? It's possible he was still recovering and got a bit chilly overnight?

Good luck, please keep me posted :)

Thanks all, it's been wet and wild here the last couple of days, but he's been well bedded down, covered up and has heat pads. He's a bit brighter this morning, and tucked straight into his breakfast, but is still a bit reluctant to move about too much, so I'll be calling the vet.

Pleased to hear your bun is a bit brighter today. The last neuter I had done took a bit longer to recover - he was a bit more swollen than normal! Try to have a look!

We're just at the vets now waiting to be seen, and of course William takes the opportunity to buck up and show his displeasure by trashing the blanket in his carrier! Cheeky monkey.

We've been given some Critical Care, and...something beginning with z that I can't remember right now, it help gut motions. He took some CC from the syringe, albeit reluctantly, and I've left some in a shallow bowl that he might lap from. Of course didn't the little booger perk up and stomp around his hutch at me when I put him back in! He's still interested in greens, but not much else. I was told to try and give 3mls of CC every couple of hours to suplement whatever else he may be eating, but I'm a bit reluctant to catch and pin him for the syringe so often, as it really does stress him �� Any thoughts?

We've been given some Critical Care, and...something beginning with z that I can't remember right now, it help gut motions. He took some CC from the syringe, albeit reluctantly, and I've left some in a shallow bowl that he might lap from. Of course didn't the little booger perk up and stomp around his hutch at me when I put him back in! He's still interested in greens, but not much else. I was told to try and give 3mls of CC every couple of hours to suplement whatever else he may be eating, but I'm a bit reluctant to catch and pin him for the syringe so often, as it really does stress him �� Any thoughts?

Hi capable :wave:

So glad to hear that William has been perking up a bit today, and has seen the vet again. I am guessing the meds will be Zantac?

Did the vet comment on whether his wound was sore or not? If he's eating greens, that's good. Is he eating any hay? It doesn't matter if they go off one sort of food for a couple of days or so, but he should be eating something :)

Did the Vet comment on his surgical wound ? All OK with no excessive bruising/swelling ? Did the Vet give William some pain relief aswell as the Zantac (Ranitidine)? Zantac is an anti GI Ulcer medication with some prokinetic properties (increases motility in the hind gut) but it is not an analgesic.

I would be minded to try to keep tempting William with foods he may eat for himself. The stress of being syringe fed every 2 hours may be counterproductive. He does need to have some input and some output though and I am not suggesting that you ignore the Vet's advice. You could try to tempt William with some fresh herbs, coriander is often very popular.

Oh yes, I forgot - his wound is a little inflamed, but no infection. He was given 3 injections for pain relief, gut motility and to settle his stomach a little. He is nibbling some hay, and has plenty of greens as he's eating those happily. The med is zantac, thanks for the reminder, and is to be given twice a day for a couple of days. I figure that'll be stressful enough, let alone the CC so frequently too. He's not completely refusing all food, so I'm not sure the CC will be required so frequently.

Oh yes, I forgot - his wound is a little inflamed, but no infection. He was given 3 injections for pain relief, gut motility and to settle his stomach a little. He is nibbling some hay, and has plenty of greens as he's eating those happily. The med is zantac, thanks for the reminder, and is to be given twice a day for a couple of days. I figure that'll be stressful enough, let alone the CC so frequently too. He's not completely refusing all food, so I'm not sure the CC will be required so frequently.

Great that he has had some pain relief. Hopefully he'll soon be feeling a lot better xx

Hi there

Yes I thought the wound may be a little inflamed, and really glad to hear no infection :)

The Zantac isn't pain relief, but it will help stimulate his gut to move more normally. It's not very strong at doing that but hopefully it is all William needs at the moment.

I'm glad he has had some pain relief. Fingers crossed he doesn't need to go back to the vet :)

:wave: how is William this morning?

Did the vet give you any pain relief to give at home? I expect he will be sire for a few days.

Poor William still isn't doing too well �� He's still eating greens, but no hay and very minimal nuggets. He also detests having the syringe, it feels like it's stressing him which isn't conducive to him wanting to eat. I'm also worried that eating nothing but greens won't do him any good either, but I don't want to be limiting them if it's all he's got an appetite for.

It's also difficult with him being outside, I don't have anywhere inside that would be suitable, and I don't want to compromise his coat, but it's also difficult to give the CC outside, especially when the poor lad doesn't want to be caught now �� I feel at such a loss.

Sorry to hear William still hasn't been eating well. Is he doing better this morning?

I would recommend popping him back along to the vets today to get him checked over again and to get some pain relief for him to have at home.

Sending vibes for your little one.

Sorry I never saw this.

When they said he needed more gas, all they mean is the gas they have them on keeps them under the anaesthetic. A higher level of gas in the oxygen he breathes, will make him go deeper into the anaesthetic.

If the CC is stressing him out, I'd stop it. I'd also be tempted to bring them back indoors where it will be easier to monitor him.

Sorry if I've missed this, but are you giving pain relief at home?
If not I'd request some from the vets and keep him on it until he's eating is back to normal.

I'd also suggest cutting his veg up small, hiding it in hay which may trick him into eating his hay while trying to get the veg.

If you're still not 100% happy with him, I'd suggest at least calling the vets and discussing with them about next steps for him.

Have they checked his teeth at all during this time?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that William is still not improving. Have you checked his wound recently? In particular is the inflammation looking better or worse?

Poor William still isn't doing too well �� He's still eating greens, but no hay and very minimal nuggets. He also detests having the syringe, it feels like it's stressing him which isn't conducive to him wanting to eat. I'm also worried that eating nothing but greens won't do him any good either, but I don't want to be limiting them if it's all he's got an appetite for.

It's also difficult with him being outside, I don't have anywhere inside that would be suitable, and I don't want to compromise his coat, but it's also difficult to give the CC outside, especially when the poor lad doesn't want to be caught now �� I feel at such a loss.

How is William doing today? :wave:

Hi everyone, thank you for keeping William and I in your thoughts ❤️

We didn't get any at-home pain relief, I've also had to stop the CC as he was becoming really distressed. He's still not 100%, he's eating about half of his nuggets and hay (finally!), and still scoffing greens. I'm going to try and have the vet look at him again this afternoon as see if we can get some pain relief until he's eating a proper amount again.

I've also set up a small pen in my spare bedroom, it's not the coldest room in the house (bathroom) but it's the only space I have. My buns are living separately atm due to pre-neuter bickers, so Jack is happy to stay outside. Realistically, how long could an outdoor bun come in for? The room could just be big enough for him to free range if necessary till the weather warms again in spring, but it's a rented house and he's not fully litter trained �� Thoughts?

Back