• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To get another rabbit or not.

oliviaandwez

Young Bun
Hi everyone. I have a rabbit who I have had for 2 years. In January I got a second rabbit as a companion who has sadly died and broke my heart :( I immediately wanted to get another one as I worried my boy would be lonely but actually, he seemed really happy after he died. I am not sure whether this is actually a sign he would be better off on his own. He is currently meeting a new rabbit at the rspca and she's being really dominant and bossy and the lady said wesley doesn't seem too happy. I am not really sure what to do. I prefere to have two rabbits as I worry he is lonely but the signs are telling me he isn't. What would you do?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. I have a rabbit who I have had for 2 years. In January I got a second rabbit as a companion who has sadly died and broke my heart :( I immediately wanted to get another one as I worried my boy would be lonely but actually, he seemed really happy after he died. I am not sure whether this is actually a sign he would be better off on his own. He is currently meeting a new rabbit at the rspca and she's being really dominant and bossy and the lady said wesley doesn't seem too happy. I am not really sure what to do. I prefere to have two rabbits as I worry he is lonely but the signs are telling me he isn't. What would you do?

I am sorry that you lost Wesley's companion :cry: Generally speaking Rabbits should be kept in pairs/groups. In certain circumstances having a single House Rabbit can be appropriate. Personally I would never keep an outdoor Rabbit as a singleton.

Maybe Wesley could be introduced to some other potential partners. Just because one bonding is not going well does not mean that there will not be another Rabbit whom would make a good companion for him.

Hi there :wave:

I'm really sorry you lost your rabbit. It is truly heartbreaking, I know :(

I am pleased that he's been given another chance at love, as rabbits are far better with members of their own species unless they are a house rabbit and the owner has lots of time to devote to them.

Perhaps Wesley can be tried out with another doe? I'm sure there are others to choose from. You don't want him in an unhappy marriage so it's important to find a good match for him.

Good luck xx

Thanks for your replies :) He is a house rabbit and has a large area to run around. I used to have much more time for him when I was at university but do have less now which is what makes me worry about him. My family think he's way happier single but it's so difficult as It could be so many things.
Yes I am not sure this bunny is the right match for him, I think he needs one with a chilled but confident attitude. I think because he would be comfortable on his own, it's even more important it's the right lady for him as I would hate to get one and he be unhappy. Sadly there are hardly any rabbits in rescues around near me. I am going to try another rescue in January but I have to wait until then as there has been a break out of rhd2 there!

I'm going through the same dilemma at the moment. My bunny lost his brother of 6 1/2 years last week. He seems to be coping better than me!! I asked Pets at Home for their advice but they said because of his age (8 1/2 years) they wouldn't recommend getting a new friend for him. I can see his point as it could be in a ward time is have to find another bunny and having to bond them all over again.

Back