• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Overgrown Teeth

mlmmars89

New Kit
One of my rabbits has really bad overgrown teeth. She doesn't really like being held so I could never check them. She was losing weight and one night when she was eating I saw her teeth. Her lower molars cover the top ones. It didn't help that she was also weight. Well yesterday I noticed that she started eating differently. The vet that can trim the nails isn't open for memorial weekend. There is hospital about 40 minutes away but I don't if I should take her. Should I wait till Tuesday or just go to the hosptial??

She does need to see a vet urgently. It sounds like she will need a full dental under anaesthetic. I would spend the next 24 hours feeding her up eg syringe feed every few hours. She will then be in better condition for the op. The weight loss and lack of eating already make her vulnerable to other serious conditions affecting her gut and liver function. Depending on what she will / can eat, I would offer her moistened or mushy pellets - especially if you can't handle her for full syringe feeding. Keep a very close eye on her.

Get her booked in as soon as you can (ie tomorrow). If she isn't eating much at all or her poos are very small / infrequent / otherwise not normal, she should see a vet today as an emergency.

One of my rabbits has really bad overgrown teeth. She doesn't really like being held so I could never check them. She was losing weight and one night when she was eating I saw her teeth. Her lower molars cover the top ones. It didn't help that she was also weight. Well yesterday I noticed that she started eating differently. The vet that can trim the nails isn't open for memorial weekend. There is hospital about 40 minutes away but I don't if I should take her. Should I wait till Tuesday or just go to the hosptial??

Hi there :wave:

I suspect what you're seeing is not the molars covering the top ones, but the front teeth - the incisors.

If you saw a vet as an emergency, all he would do is trim/cut the front teeth down to enable her to eat, and you will have to get booked in to have those incisors out. Some people do keep trimming them, but it's painful and traumatic for a rabbit to undergo that every 4/6 weeks as the teeth constantly grow. The very best solution is for those front teeth to be completely removed. Rabbits can manage very well without their front teeth.

You should in the meantime syringe feed her with ground up pellets and baby food, if you can't get hold of any critical care formula. Do you have any syringes or can you get hold of some today?

She does need to see a vet urgently. It sounds like she will need a full dental under anaesthetic. I would spend the next 24 hours feeding her up eg syringe feed every few hours. She will then be in better condition for the op. The weight loss and lack of eating already make her vulnerable to other serious conditions affecting her gut and liver function. Depending on what she will / can eat, I would offer her moistened or mushy pellets - especially if you can't handle her for full syringe feeding. Keep a very close eye on her.

Get her booked in as soon as you can (ie tomorrow). If she isn't eating much at all or her poos are very small / infrequent / otherwise not normal, she should see a vet today as an emergency.

Shimmer has given you very good advice. With Incisor malocclusion in some cases it may be better for the Rabbit to have the Incisors extracted. Prior to doing this skull radiographs are needed to assess the state of the tooth roots and for any underlining problems. Also, if the malocclusion is acquired as opposed to congenital then the Vet needs to consider why the problem has developed in the first place.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredIncisorAbnRabbits.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

Back