• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very poorly bunny

Hi,

I have a very poorly bunny on my hands at the moment. Storm is going to be 1 in June and is currently suffering from god knows what. She started off by sleeping more, eating fewer pellets and drinking a lot. We took her to the vets who gave her critical care, Baytril and sent off her poo to see if she had a parasite. It has been a week or so since the poo sample has been sent off and she has got significantly worse. She's only eating greens, sleeping loads and won't give her sister the time of day.

I phone my vets every day to see if they have the results and today they tell me it comes back with a negative for all parasites so I'm stumped. I don't think the vet is exceptional with rabbits and I'm going there later to pick up one of my bunnies who has been spayed and she told me to speak to her then and I honestly think she's going to suggest putting her down but I don't want to go down that route without discovering what is wrong with my Storm. She seems to be hiding a lot and is favouring not using her back legs. She has recently developed diarrhea but I didn't know if that's because she's only eating her veg and no hay or pellets.

I really don't want to resort to euthanasia, especially when she's so young and has a sister who will be left all on her own. We try and pick her up to see if there's anything visible we see and she grinds her teeth all the time which I know means they aren't happy.

I am in Sheffield, South Yorkshire too if anyone can suggest a better vet that is savvy with rabbit problems. I really don't trust this vet entirely as she seems so dismissive of all suggestions I make, such as kidney problems or getting her an x-ray to check her teeth and see if she has anything obstructing her intestines. I'm really at the end of all I can do and would love love love some help!! I really don't want her to be in pain any longer.

You are very definitely doing the right thing looking for another vet as the one you are seeing doesn't seem to have enough urgency about the situation. The development of diarrhoea is very serious in rabbits and could be an indication of an underlying illness rather than just a reaction to dietary changes. I hope you can find someone who will investigate thoroughly and quickly.

This is the vet a very rabbit savvy friend uses: Jane Weller at Crooks Vets at Hackenthorpe, Sheffield, tel no 0114 2485413. The friend has something of a sanctuary so the vet is well used to diagnosing and solving/dealing with the complex.

This may be of some further assistance.
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/copy_of_county-or-city/south-yorkshire

** UPDATE **

I took Storm to the vets and she had only got worse. The vet said they believed she had a bowel infection but that the antibiotics hadn't worked against it and she was too weak. Unfortunately, they decided that the best course of action was to put her to sleep as she would be in pain and that even if we took her to a hospital and put her in recovery that she had little chance of surviving.

At the moment I'm very upset and angry at the vets for leaving it two weeks without updates of her tests, but I'm not going to put blame just hope that my Storm is frolicking up there with her other bunny friends. :(

** UPDATE **

I took Storm to the vets and she had only got worse. The vet said they believed she had a bowel infection but that the antibiotics hadn't worked against it and she was too weak. Unfortunately, they decided that the best course of action was to put her to sleep as she would be in pain and that even if we took her to a hospital and put her in recovery that she had little chance of surviving.

At the moment I'm very upset and angry at the vets for leaving it two weeks without updates of her tests, but I'm not going to put blame just hope that my Storm is frolicking up there with her other bunny friends. :(

I'm so very sorry to hear this :(

Run free Storm x

Back