• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Springfield please!

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
He probably has gas. Ate and drank like normal this morning and ran around like the usual mad hatter he is.

Got in and he won't eat, is uncomfortable /keeps hunching up or lying down. Took him straight to the vets as I've not seen him look as poorly in his face if that makes sense, before even though he's had stasis once before.

Vet gave him: buprenorphine, metoclopromide, melox and zantac. Also gave him a shot of fluids. Second to that she gave me metoclopromide and zantac syrup to give him on the morning too plus some recovery food.

She checked his teeth but they're fine.

Really worried I very rarely see him like this and could do with some positive vibes to help him get better quickly please.
Big shout out to Lola bun who's trying to kiss him better. Seems to know where he had the jabs.

He probably has gas. Ate and drank like normal this morning and ran around like the usual mad hatter he is.

Got in and he won't eat, is uncomfortable /keeps hunching up or lying down. Took him straight to the vets as I've not seen him look as poorly in his face if that makes sense, before even though he's had stasis once before.

Vet gave him: buprenorphine, metoclopromide, melox and zantac. Also gave him a shot of fluids. Second to that she gave me metoclopromide and zantac syrup to give him on the morning too plus some recovery food.

She checked his teeth but they're fine.

Really worried I very rarely see him like this and could do with some positive vibes to help him get better quickly please.
Big shout out to Lola bun who's trying to kiss him better. Seems to know where he had the jabs.

Loads of positive vibes. It's horrible when a bun has gas ...

Get better soon Springfield!!

Update. 2.45am. Still won't eat biscuits but generally much brighter. Ate a small apple cube and few kale leaves.

I'll still give pain relief on the morning but should I also still give the extra gut stimulant?

Update. 2.45am. Still won't eat biscuits but generally much brighter. Ate a small apple cube and few kale leaves.

I'll still give pain relief on the morning but should I also still give the extra gut stimulant?

If the Vet said to do so I would. Generally it is necessary to continue with prokinetics until eating and output have returned to normal.

I hope that Springfield has continued to improve overnight xx

ETA His initial lethargy and low temperature after the Vet visit could well have been due to the Buprenorphine. Buprenorphine is an opiate which can cause marked sedation. If given at the same time as Metoclopramide the sedating effects of Buprenorphine are increased. Sometimes using Buprenorphine is essential though in order to get severe pain under control. I am just flagging up the sedation issues for future reference :)

Last edited:
If the Vet said to do so I would. Generally it is necessary to continue with prokinetics until eating and output have returned to normal.

I hope that Springfield has continued to improve overnight xx

ETA His initial lethargy and low temperature after the Vet visit could well have been due to the Buprenorphine. Buprenorphine is an opiate which can cause marked sedation. If given at the same time as Metoclopramide the sedating effects of Buprenorphine are increased. Sometimes using Buprenorphine is essential though in order to get severe pain under control. I am just flagging up the sedation issues for future reference :)
Thanks Jane. Still won't eat biscuits this morning or hay but has had a small chunk of banana, half a slice of apple and a few kale leaves. He's also hopping around and no longer stationery and hunched. However he won't let me give him any meds even when disguised in banana and I'm quite worried I've seen no drinking or poo/wee yet. Any advice?

Thanks Jane. Still won't eat biscuits this morning or hay but has had a small chunk of banana, half a slice of apple and a few kale leaves. He's also hopping around and no longer stationery and hunched. However he won't let me give him any meds even when disguised in banana and I'm quite worried I've seen no drinking or poo/wee yet. Any advice?

You really need to administer the meds via syringe directly into his mouth. Handling needs to be done with confidence, firm but not rough. If you show anxiety about handling him he will get more stressed. Do you have someone to help you by holding him whilst he is securely wrapped in a towel and then you administer the meds ?

I would give the Vet a call this morning as it may be that Springfield needs to be admitted to enable the medication to be given regularly along with syringe feeds and fluid therapy. It may be less stressful for both of you if the Vet/VNs take over the intensive nursing care that is usually needed in cases of gut stasis. If this is the case for Springfield it is not a reflection on your ability to care for him, it is simply that some situations dictate that it is better for all concerned if the Vets/VN take over for a while

Sending more vibes for him.

We have poo! It's a positive but still no wee or drinking. Think I gave him his meds there but he is stressed from it and not sure if it all went in. He has also another appointment tonight and if he needs admitting then so be it

We have poo! It's a positive but still no wee or drinking. Think I gave him his meds there but he is stressed from it and not sure if it all went in. He has also another appointment tonight and if he needs admitting then so be it

Great news re some poo !! He is probably not feeling thirsty due to the SQ fluids he had yesterday and the fact that he is only eating Veg which contain a lot of water.

Try to keep encouraging him to eat and also to hop about. Exercise promotes gut motility.

If you have/can obtain some fresh coriander that often gets a Rabbit eating. Mixing some dried herbs in with his hay may also tempt him.

He might prefer softened pellets, you can try offering him a small portion of pellets that have been pre-soaked in cooled boiled water.

Sounds as though things are slowly improving for him !

Great news re some poo !! He is probably not feeling thirsty due to the SQ fluids he had yesterday and the fact that he is only eating Veg which contain a lot of water.

Try to keep encouraging him to eat and also to hop about. Exercise promotes gut motility.

If you have/can obtain some fresh coriander that often gets a Rabbit eating. Mixing some dried herbs in with his hay may also tempt him.

He might prefer softened pellets, you can try offering him a small portion of pellets that have been pre-soaked in cooled boiled water.

Sounds as though things are slowly improving for him !
Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. Can't stand seeing him look uncomfortable. He did have ahop around this morning. No running like normal but better than last night. I've had to leave him to come to work so I'm extremely anxious as I won't be able to see him till about 4pm. Heard some good gurgles this morning so hoping that's some movement

Topping up the vibes for him, do you have anyone who can check on him during today?

Back