• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny is in some discomfort

LornaBee

New Kit
Hello :D, i'm new to this forum!
I got my bunny about 6 months ago, he's a netherland dwarf rabbit & probably like most of you on here I spoil him rotten & revolve my world around him haha!

A couple of days ago he began to show some discomfort by constantly lying down and sitting back up, over and over again. I've never seen him do that before so at first to me I just thought maybe he was hot in the weather and couldn't get comfy. It went on for a good 15 minutes and I was beginning to get worried. As he was doing this little poo's were shooting out, loads of them! After he'd pooped a lot he seemed okay and sat up and started playing again, so I thought maybe this was him being bloated or having some gas?!
Last night I got him out of his hutch (he comes to sit in the living room and I play with him every evening), we fed him some dandelion leaves and he ate them all fine and he began pop corning running round and playing as he usually does!
As soon as I put him back in his hutch later that night he straight away went to lie down again, trying to sit up but lying straight back down constantly. No poo's were coming out this time and it went on for a lot longer than the first time. I tried massaging his belly but he wouldnt let me do this for more than a few seconds at a time. He'd keep sitting up going to another corner of the hutch and lying back down again, always trying different positions and he'd never stop moving.
There was no heavy breathing and he wasn't making any noises, I sat up with him whilst it was going on for maybe an hour-ish until he began sitting up again and washing himself.
I saw this morning he had done some poo and he is playing again. But i'm still worried as this is the second time in 2 days it's happened. Does anybody know if this is something serious?
I'm sorry i've rambled on forever, I thought if I noted everything down that i've done somebody might see something that i'm doing wrong or understand why hes been acting this way.
thank you for reading!

My view is that you need to have him examined by a rabbit knowledgeable vet, particularly as the restlessness keeps recurring. Rabbits are experts at hiding illness and pain, so it always best to act quickly and get them checked by a vet.

I hope your bunny will be OK. Please keep us updated. xx

My view is that you need to have him examined by a rabbit knowledgeable vet, particularly as the restlessness keeps recurring. Rabbits are experts at hiding illness and pain, so it always best to act quickly and get them checked by a vet.

I hope your bunny will be OK. Please keep us updated. xx

Yes, I agree with Tracy. Even if the Vet finds nothing wrong at least having your Rabbit checked over will give you peace of mind.

Hello :D, i'm new to this forum!
I got my bunny about 6 months ago, he's a netherland dwarf rabbit & probably like most of you on here I spoil him rotten & revolve my world around him haha!

A couple of days ago he began to show some discomfort by constantly lying down and sitting back up, over and over again. I've never seen him do that before so at first to me I just thought maybe he was hot in the weather and couldn't get comfy. It went on for a good 15 minutes and I was beginning to get worried. As he was doing this little poo's were shooting out, loads of them! After he'd pooped a lot he seemed okay and sat up and started playing again, so I thought maybe this was him being bloated or having some gas?!
Last night I got him out of his hutch (he comes to sit in the living room and I play with him every evening), we fed him some dandelion leaves and he ate them all fine and he began pop corning running round and playing as he usually does!
As soon as I put him back in his hutch later that night he straight away went to lie down again, trying to sit up but lying straight back down constantly. No poo's were coming out this time and it went on for a lot longer than the first time. I tried massaging his belly but he wouldnt let me do this for more than a few seconds at a time. He'd keep sitting up going to another corner of the hutch and lying back down again, always trying different positions and he'd never stop moving.
There was no heavy breathing and he wasn't making any noises, I sat up with him whilst it was going on for maybe an hour-ish until he began sitting up again and washing himself.
I saw this morning he had done some poo and he is playing again. But i'm still worried as this is the second time in 2 days it's happened. Does anybody know if this is something serious?
I'm sorry i've rambled on forever, I thought if I noted everything down that i've done somebody might see something that i'm doing wrong or understand why hes been acting this way.
thank you for reading!

Hi there :wave: and you haven't rambled on! And welcome to the Forum :D

I think, given the mysterious way the symptoms are presenting, that you should probably see a vet about your bunny, or at least talk to one on the phone and explain the symptoms he's having.

I hope you get the issue sorted :thumb:

Hi guys, thank you for your advice!
Sooty went to the Vet not long ago, the vet examined his stomach and said it felt normal and that he looked completly healthy.
He's now back at home causing mischief as normal, hopefully it stays this way! :D

Sooty went to the Vet not long ago, the vet examined his stomach and said it felt normal and that he looked completly healthy.
He's now back at home causing mischief as normal, hopefully it stays this way! :D

Phew, what a relief !! :D

Good! I really hope it stays that way too. Don't want too many of them there vet's visits :shock:

Back