• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weaning off gut stimulants - any experience?

gem6517

Young Bun
Hi there,

We have a bun, Mini, who has been on zantac and metaclop daily since June/July after some quite aggressive treatment for a deep bladder infection which messed with her gut quite badly. The vet is very comfortable with her being on the gut stimulants long-term. I'm slightly less so, but after several months of constant vet visits and a very worrying period of hospitalisation, I'll just be glad if she stays well!

She's currently on the metaclop twice a day and zantac three times and I'm trying to wean her off the third dose of zantac, which is typically given at 10-11pm. This is because I fear that giving her meds three times a day is not sustainable for us long-term, and especially if we are away and need to use a pet sitter, and I figure if we're going to get her off it the sooner the better now that her condition is stable.

I wondered if anyone had experience of weaning bunnies off gut stimulants?

We've got the dose down the less than half now, 0.11ml from 0.23ml, but her poops are noticeably smaller, not to a worrying extent and she's otherwise fine, so I'm just pausing for a while at that dose to see if she will get used to the lower level. Perhaps I've just been a bit impatient and need to give her more time to acclimatise to each reduction?

Grateful for any advice!

Personally I would discuss all this with the Vet treating your Rabbit, assuming you have not already done so. I would be reluctant to change a treatment plan that has/is keeping a Rabbit stable without ongoing contact with a Vet and for the Vet to regularly examine the Rabbit.

I hope you can find a workable plan that continues to keep your Rabbit as well as possible.

Thanks Jack's-Jane. The vet is aware that we are trying to reduce the last dose down, and seems happy enough with this, but I think she doesn't see the need, and she doesn't have experience of doing it. On her advice we tried stopping them altogether once the antibiotic treatment was finished, but then had to quickly reintroduce them. She said at the time in response to my concerns about long-term gut stimulant use that we could try to wean her off gradually but as I said she's very comfortable with Mini staying on all the drugs long-term, so we didn't go down this route in the end, and we're just focussing on this last dose of the day to make sure that over the years to come we can continue to manage her treatment. I know that buns can become dependant on the gut stimulants and the dosages are only likely to go up from here. We see the vet regularly and Mini's health overall is of course our main concern. So of course, I'll continue to talk to the vet about it as well, and adjusting the other two doses during the day might help. I really just wondered whether anyone else had experience they could share of doing this, as the vet has never had to/tried to wean a rabbit off the gut stimulants.

Back