• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do Ex Stray Rabbits Have A Food Obsession

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

I have recently taken on (separately) 2 rabbits that were handed into my vets as strays. Both will eat pretty much anything and very quickly. They seem to have the empty the bowl as soon as you put it down.

Is this a result of been a stray or have I just got too greedy bunnies?

x

It's just a bunny thing I think. :lol::lol: My two are a pair of greedy pigs and I've had Alfie since he was 8 weeks old.

I've just got an ex-stray and oh wow he is so obsessed with food! Harvey used to be crazy about food, but only when he could see or smell it, Logan is frantic for food all the time, I can just make eye contact and he's going crazy wanting food! He's already nearly climbed the 3 foot puppy pen because I was near it and might have food :shock: he is underweight though so I assume either whilst stray or in the home he escaped from he had poor access to food and that might had made him so greedy now!

Doris is a good weight and we are not sure how long she was a stray. She just clears a dish and just can not walk away until its gone.

Trudy on the other hand is tiny. She looks about 10 weeks old but the vet says her teeth imply she is a lot older than she looks. She has gained 140gram in the week we have had here.

My other bunnies are a mix of greedy buns and not too bad. I just wondered if strays had some issues due to their past.

x

Domestic rabbits are usually not strays for very long (dinner for Mr Fox!) and most owners don't bother trying to find them - i've had 4 (different times) strays from the vets, none were ever claimed!

Mine are micro-chipped - just in case! :)

It might be more down to where they were before they were strays, for example if there was a lot of competition for food they might learn to eat faster.

All eight of mine are VERY VERY VERY keen to eat their pellets (a handfull per rabbit and two handfulls per belgian hare). They all adore veg and will chase each other around when food first arrives.

Grass and hay are eaten but dont cause the same excitement.

Two of mine were strays. However, all of my buns practically kill me by getting under my feet whenever I go near them, as I obviously could have food with me... :roll: :lol: they all eat whatever I give them right away, but they've always got access to hay and mostly grass too, so they can't be starving or anything. I just assumed it was a bun thing.

I think Sheldon is convinced he's never been fed before ...ever:eek:...he often knocks the bowl out of my hand before I get it onto the floor.

Mine does a guilt thing: looks at bowl, looks at me when inside (open) cage and not sleeping or on litter tray... Comes out to remind me it's feeding time 45 mins or more before any feeding time and camps out... Woke up to a rabbit leaping over my head this morning! :lol:

Back