• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

very worried owner- Myxomatosis? Mites? Laboured breathing

dawnhughes

New Kit
Help?!!!

Last weekend my rabbit Beans were perfectly fine! Put him away as usual around 7pm and then Monday 8.30am I let himout his hutch and he was flat on his side and couldn't get up. I rushed him the vet thinking it was a stroke? Anyway he stayed in the bets a few days and came home with baytril and panacur worming tube. After a few hours of coming home his eyes flared up and became very swollen. I used fucithalmic creme on his eyes but after no improvement we went back the vets who believed he showed all the signs of myxomatosis. However he is still eating and drinking so vet not sure. Looking in his ears they are full of wax. I've never noticed before. Could this all be caused by ear mites? The vet gave him a jab but in was so upset that I can't tell you what was it was... He seemed to perk up Saturday but this morning his breathing has worsened and he seems so sad. He's had his meds for the day and is still eating but now only cabbage and pear and I have to give him water direct. I am at a loss what to do. I've moved him indoors and he's sitting in the dog bed. His eyes are swollen and he struggles to breath. Am I kinder to let him go or is there a chance he will pick up? I feel awful

What area are you? Your bun sounds very poorly and needs to be seen by a rabbit savvy vet which I don't think yours is unfortunately.

Was he vaccinated?

If I were you I would ring the vets and ask him to be admitted. They will be able to support him throughout the night with his breathing. Your vets don't seem to be too sure with rabbits so I would ring around and see if you can find a good rabbit savvy vet.

If I were you I would post on here, stating your area, for a vet recommendation. I think Beans needs a proper assessment from a really good vet with all the details you have of everything that's happened and what treatment your current vet has given him.

Was he vaccinated?

It's impossible for anyone on a public forum to advise you as to whether your rabbit will get better, or if indeed you should let him go.

Try and get help from a good vet asap. And good luck x

absolutely agree with everyone else - you need a good rabbit savvy vet. When you get the contact details for one stress that he needs to be seen IMMEDIATELY

Good luck

The vet might be fine. :? The key question is whether the bun was vaccinated.

Not vaccinated.. I haven't ever had any of my bunnies vaccinated in 15yrs of owning rabbits. On Friday my vet said he hadn't treated a pet rabbit with a case of mixi this year so doesn't think it's that esp as he's still eating. Beans has just had some cabbage and water and he's just resting now. I will be taking him the vets first thing in the morning. He is a giant bunny who's about 4yrs now

I'm no expert, but it does sound like it could be myx to me. Obviously I hope it isn't.

Not vaccinated.. I haven't ever had any of my bunnies vaccinated in 15yrs of owning rabbits. On Friday my vet said he hadn't treated a pet rabbit with a case of mixi this year so doesn't think it's that esp as he's still eating. Beans has just had some cabbage and water and he's just resting now. I will be taking him the vets first thing in the morning. He is a giant bunny who's about 4yrs now

I think he needs to see a vet tonight. Your vet is wrong. I have seen lots and lots and lots of rabbits with myxi this year, in fact more than I have in recent years. He needs to see a rabbit savvy vet tonight if he has any chance of survival. Unfortunately if it is myxi his chances of surviving are slim because he is not vaccinated.

Please get him to a vet. He will be in a lot of pain.

Sending him vibes.

Would he still be eating tho? He's wolfing stuff down. Not his dried food but veg and fruit

Limited experience here of unvaccinated bunnies with myx, but I knew someone with one who seemed to rally at first (so the vet didn't put to sleep immediately), but soon went downhill. :(

Even if it's not myxi, I'd be quite worried about an older giant with laboured breathing. I'd try to get him to a rabbit savvy vet ASAP. I too have a giant and breathing is something I've always kept an eye on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does sound a lot like myxi - the mild winter didn't kill the mozzies off and, combined with it being very wet, there's been hundreds of myxi reports up and down the country this year. I myself can't go in my garden without getting munched by mosquitos at the moment.

Have you managed to get him back to the vet? I agree that if you're unsure of this vet's bunny competence I'm sure we can recommend a nearby one.

Beans went to join his bunny friends in heaven. Hardest decision I've ever had to make but he told me it was time. I knew in my head but suppose I wanted someone yo say he would be ok by some miracle. I do believe it was mixi. Poor poor baby. I glad I could give him peace :-((

Back