• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

700g

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
:cry:

Why won't she put anything on, her body isn't working. She's eating everything I throw at her and just looks and feels like she's not there :cry:

:cry:

Oh poor Ginger :( I assume you've tried everything but one of mine has been very poorly recently and as a result lost 350g in a relatively short amount of time. I've been having to syringe feed her Critical Care (she's in stasis now) and her weight has started going up quite quickly. Whenever she's been at her heaviest, it's been because I've been giving her Critical Care!

Graham, obviously Ginger has many problems and nothing is simple for the poor bun - but when Barney had unexplained weightloss (eating shed loads and still losing) it turned out to be an absorption issue due to the gut being unhealthy. It was really inflamed inside. Protexin pellets (I think you already feed these?), Protexin fibreplex, metaclopramide 2-3 times daily and an extremely high fibre low sugar diet helped. The richness of the high-calorie foods was making his gut worse so he was absorbing less calories than when his gut improved on low-cal high fibre food.

I know Ginger has a host of problems and it may not be this, b ut thought I'd mention it as you said she is eating loads but still not gaining.

I am right in thinking that she is in chronic renal failure ? If so then anabolic steroid injections can help reduce the rate of muscle catabolism that CRF can cause. Muscle catabolism results in significant weight loss

Poor Ginger.:( I wish I could wave a magic wand and get her 100%. She is so lucky though to have a caring and loving owner who will try anything to help her. Best of luck.

Graham, obviously Ginger has many problems and nothing is simple for the poor bun - but when Barney had unexplained weightloss (eating shed loads and still losing) it turned out to be an absorption issue due to the gut being unhealthy. It was really inflamed inside. Protexin pellets (I think you already feed these?), Protexin fibreplex, metaclopramide 2-3 times daily and an extremely high fibre low sugar diet helped. The richness of the high-calorie foods was making his gut worse so he was absorbing less calories than when his gut improved on low-cal high fibre food.

I know Ginger has a host of problems and it may not be this, b ut thought I'd mention it as you said she is eating loads but still not gaining.

I am right in thinking that she is in chronic renal failure ? If so then anabolic steroid injections can help reduce the rate of muscle catabolism that CRF can cause. Muscle catabolism results in significant weight loss

Thank you both - no mention of steroids before, so will speak to vet today about it.

Sorry, having a down day :(

poor ginger :( i know she has alot of other issues, but when bisc lost 500g from being very ill, the profibre pellets really helped get his weight stable again, and stay stable, even with his tummy issues. as i say though, i know ginger has other issues, and you may already feed them anyway, but just an idea.

hope the vets can help with info regarding the steroids :wave:

definitely these - and the anabolic steroids (and ready brek!!! - its done wonders for Coltsfoot!)

I'm so sorry Graham, it must be so awful seeing her get thinner and feeling so helpless :( sending millions of vibes for your special girl x

Still hoping that there can be found some treatment for Ginger that will help her rally. Thinking of you all. xxxx

Back