• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

doed metacam make buns sleepy.

blackbunsmum

Young Bun
I struggled to get my bun Wanda to take her metacam at 9am and prob only managed to get half of her prescribed 2ml in. Typically she wouldnt eat much of the veg with it on.

I noticed at 5pm that she was crunching her teeth which I know can mean pain so I gave her her next 2ml dose. She is now bit zonked out but not crunching her teeth. She is lying next to hrr mum.
Is it normal for Metacam to zonk them for a few hrs. 2ml is quite a high dosd I guess

I have never known metacam to make my buns drowsy, but I've never given quite such a high dose are you have been prescribed.

Sorry I can't give you a definite answer, but I didn't want to just read and run.

I don't know what her problem is (I've probably missed it elsewhere on the forum), but are you sure she is definitely just 'sleepy' and it's not that she is actually feeling increasingly poorly?

I hope she is OK. xx

I've never noticed it making my rabbits sleepy. Think I would check on her to make sure she is ok.

Have you tried Metacam on a basil leaf (nice and strong smelling) .... or even soak a tiny piece of bread. Mine hate having syringes and we all end up stressed, but I find both of these work for them.

I think metacam does make Lola quiet and a little sleep but I am only giving her 8 drops twice daily so nowhere near the amount you are giving Wenda. I would maybe give you vet a quick call just to have a chat about your worries. X

I think metacam does make Lola quiet and a little sleep but I am only giving her 8 drops twice daily so nowhere near the amount you are giving Wenda. I would maybe give you vet a quick call just to have a chat about your worries. X

It has been a very worrying evening as Wanda went v quiet after her metacam and was crunching her teeth. I was a bit scared. She didnt eat or drink for a few hours. She has just the last few minutes eaten about 4 cecotropes and stopped crunching and eaten 2 dandilions so thats promising. I am thinking that maybe the large dose of metacam constipated her. I read it can do that. Maybe I will reduce it tomorrow. I will see how she is in the morning. We have post op check at 6 pm but will call vets before. I got a bit upset and cried earlier as I was so worried. This whole thing has exhausted me and I was blaming myself for having her operated on. :(

how much does your bunny weigh? Lucy was on 1ml once daily and that is the high dose to be given once a day. It is a smaller dose if given twice a day!

It has been a very worrying evening as Wanda went v quiet after her metacam and was crunching her teeth. I was a bit scared. She didnt eat or drink for a few hours. She has just the last few minutes eaten about 4 cecotropes and stopped crunching and eaten 2 dandilions so thats promising. I am thinking that maybe the large dose of metacam constipated her. I read it can do that. Maybe I will reduce it tomorrow. I will see how she is in the morning. We have post op check at 6 pm but will call vets before. I got a bit upset and cried earlier as I was so worried. This whole thing has exhausted me and I was blaming myself for having her operated on. :(

Please don't blame yourself. It is better in the long run that she gets it done. Speak to your vet before reducing the dosage of the metacam. You could ask for recovery food this might help her digestion. You have a PM. Hugs to you. If she keeps eating that is great. Try get as much sleep as you can. I know that is difficult to do but it's better for both of you. X

I've not heard of it making buns sleepy. Some buns like the taste and will lick it out of the syringe once they get a taste, but for the buns that don't I use a small piece of bread. Hope Wanda is feeling better soon xx

I think Wandas tum was a bit upset but during the night she recovered and ate and pooped well.
And in the morning she pulled a stitch out so bk to vets for stapling!!!!!

On Sat night Wanda went into stasis after having given her 2ml of metacam prescribed by vet. Nearly lost her Sat night but was up half the night feeding her critical care, syringing water in and gently massaging tum. By the morn she had come through. A friends daughter who is a vet nurse said she should have been prescribed a stomach lining protector as large doses of metacam can do this. I have never been prescribed such a large dose in the past. I am so glad I never gave her the 2ml twice daily as was prescribed

Wanda doing fine now and eating and pooing like a trooper. She is due to have stitches and staples removed on Fri , which will be ten days after her op. All has healed v well. Still have her encased in bandage as is a tugger by nature and staples are irresistible to her, little rascal.

When she was in stasis her mum and bonded other half was really stressed and running up and down the room outside her indoor hutch, her heart beatin v loudly. Since she got better, she had not left her side. Amazingly close bonds with buns bless them.

So pleased she is on the mend. How much does she weigh as that sounds a lot of metacam. Doughnut weighs just over 1kg and she is on 0.4ml of the dog metacam but I can up it to 0.6ml if needed.

Thanks everyone. She weighs about 3.3kg. I think 4ml dail y is a big big dose and Iam glad I didnt put anothrr 2ml in her saturday when I saw the effects of the first 2ml. I did some calcs and I worked out that .60 to .70ml would have been sufficient twicr daily not 2ml. That is alot of metacam. Apparently some rabbit savvy vets do prescribe big doses straight after ops to help buns get on top of the pain but I think she should have had a drug to protect her tummy too as I am sure that is what was giving her the pain and then put her in stasis.
Stasis is scary!!!!
I wish I could have been given a metacam syringe that is measured in kgs like I was for my male buns a few yrs back. Much easier to use than a 2ml syringe.
Just relieved dhe's ceeling better

Back