• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syringe feeding. Advice needed urgently please.

Autumn

Warren Scout
Dexter is still not eating well. He hasn't been since we got him here on Tuesday but its been markedly worse since he saw the vet on Tuesday.

He teeth are fine. He had his neuter on Friday but his lack of appetite has been an issue since Wednesday. He is nibbling on bits here and there but not showing any signed of his appetite improving.

Since Wednesday I have been syringe feeding to up his intake because of his dental on Friday.

Yesterday I syringe fed during the day and by the evening Dexter was producing dropping etc and perking up. At 10pm I went to syringe feed and he told me to naff off and hopped over to his hay to munch so I stopped.

Overnight he had eaten a little but deteriorated during the morning. Output overnight and this morning was minimal.

So I have started syringe feeding fluids and science recovery again (since 11:30 ish). He has perked up over the last few hours now and done some more droppings.

I'm sure his lack of appetite is stress related but daren't stop syringe feeding despite that being stressful for him as each time I have he has gone down hill again. Tempted to continue feeding through the night to avoid any deteriation again but how often?

Ps. He has seen two separate vets who both are of the opinion that he is fine. Is was beginning to think its my imagination but if he is only pooping when I syringe feed and otherwise output all but stops then this is NOT good right????

I think it is most likely to be stress related

He has had so much upheaval over a short space of time and also a GA/neuter

If he is eating a little for himself and passing some feces I would be inclined to observe from afar. Hold off all the 'hands on' care. I bet he has never had so much handling in his life

I assume that the Vet had a good listen to his lungs ? Stress can trigger a latent bacterial respiratory tract infection. This may initially present as lack of appetite and subsequent reduced gut motility.

I think it is most likely to be stress related

He has had so much upheaval over a short space of time and also a GA/neuter

If he is eating a little for himself and passing some feces I would be inclined to observe from afar. Hold off all the 'hands on' care. I bet he has never had so much handling in his life

I assume that the Vet had a good listen to his lungs ? Stress can trigger a latent bacterial respiratory tract infection. This may initially present as lack of appetite and subsequent reduced gut motility.

Thank you for your reply Jane. I am sure you're right but after 6hours of no droppings I panic. Especially after finding him in a dead bunny flop This morning :-/

How long would you say was safe to watch and observe without trying to intervene? I'm so frightened of leaving it too long and things going to far!

have you tried leaving him with moist pellets rather than syringe feeding? Little mite came from such bad conditions and probably isn't used to so much fuss and attention. I'd weigh his food and herbs and leave him in a quiet spot and just check him after a few hours. He may eat when no-one is looking. If he does eat, then I'd leave him alone overnight with some more food. I am assuming he has had a gut stimulant injection on Friday, but if he hasn't eaten anything by the morning, I would take him back to vets. I agree syringe feeding will probably be stressing him out even more, and I never syringe feed mine when they are in stasis.

have you tried leaving him with moist pellets rather than syringe feeding? Little mite came from such bad conditions and probably isn't used to so much fuss and attention. I'd weigh his food and herbs and leave him in a quiet spot and just check him after a few hours. He may eat when no-one is looking. If he does eat, then I'd leave him alone overnight with some more food. I am assuming he has had a gut stimulant injection on Friday, but if he hasn't eaten anything by the morning, I would take him back to vets. I agree syringe feeding will probably be stressing him out even more, and I never syringe feed mine when they are in stasis.

I've been leaving soaked pellets and he doesn't seem interested. I really think he'd be better off moving outdoors for some peace and quiet but its snowed here today :-(

My gut feeling is to leave him alone but I keep panicking after no poops for a few hours :-/

I am NEVER rescuing a bunny again. I feel horrible web saying it but I can't take the stress! X

In my experience the pellets, whether soaked or not are last things that the buns will munch, so if he's eating hay by himself I wouldn't be too worried about him. Rabbits are meant to have a 90% hay diet anyway so it won't do him any harm. When Sparky had a stasis bout he was on a hay only diet for the best part of two weeks as he simply refused his pellets. In the past I have also mixed up the recovery food and left it in bowl - one or two of the buns have happily hopped over to it and licked it from the bowl!

Bun is probbaly picking up on your stress and worry as well. I know it's difficult not to worry and get stressed, but the calmer you are the better for bun.

Was he on pellets before you got him?

He might prefer a mix, if that's what he's used to. I'm assuming any veg would be new to him too.

When my poor pebbles was poorly I found it really stressful! I couldn't get him to eat from the syringe& he was all floppy&weak, no poo at all! :( it was horrible but lots of people on here were very supportive and now pebbles is back tohis normal rgreedy self!
I brought him&sandy inside to monitor but I think that he found that even more stressful as they are outdoor bunnies. The best advice I had was just to keep offering him food he liked so I went foraging and also bought some herbs. I know it's not a great time of year for cforaging but there is some bramble leaves around which are supposed to be good for bunnies tummies. Also dandelions are just starting to sprout leaves &it might work to go&cut him some fresh grass too.

Good luck & hope your bun recovers soon.

Is he eating his ceacles? I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs buf you might need to collect them up for him to eat.
I hope he perks up soon.

Is he on any medication? I'd be after metacam (for pain), zantac and metacloprimide to help get the gut moving again :( I also offer mine hawthorn when they are off their food, they always go straight for it.

Back