• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleaning abcess site- help?!

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
Charlie had surgery on an abcess on his jawline this week. There was infection through the bone, and the wound has been left open so it can drain.

The tricky bit (for me anyway)- I have to clean it twice daily as a minimum. I've been told I will need to get someone to get him on his side for me so I can do this... well I think that is an understatement.

My husband and I have spent ages battling to get him on his side and in the end I have just about managed to get enough visibility of the site with my husband holding him with his head poking out of the table. But obviously gravity means that this isn't really going to work so well... he already has a crack in his jaw and I don't want to fight to the point that he gets another one. At the same time if we don't get this infection under control we're :censored:

Any thoughts/ ideas/ experience/ tips

Please?!!

Can you wrap him in a towel. It should make it easier to hold him still. Get hubby to give him a head rub and talk calmly to him whilst you clean the wound.

I don't seem to be having much joy with the towel trick. :oops:

It works for my others but he seems to somehow escape as soon as we try and get him on his side. It may be my towel wrapping technique that needs working on...

Damn vet and nurse made it look like it should be so easy. Just sort of flopped him over and there he lay :?

I was told t make the move slowly to get buns on their back to check them over. I'd tried fast from whatching you-tube but slow works better. Good luck for your bun.

Could you try it in your hubbys arms? I find it easier to do everything in my arms, or hubbys, rather than a table.

Could you try it in your hubbys arms? I find it easier to do everything in my arms, or hubbys, rather than a table.

Thank you, i was just starting to wonder whether we might manage in arms... I normally do for med etc so its definitely worth a try. It can't get much worse!

Anything is worth a try! I was thinking also that vets are used to handling aminals and aren't so scared of hurting during handling. A careful firmer hand may be required? Good luck:thumb:

Back