• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

chesney piggy has another abnormal stomach lump*hes gone help me please

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
he seemed bloated and gassy so i gave him some buscopan and tummy rubs and he passed the gas, but i could feel a lump underneath him and it was tender when i touched it. he also seemed quieter and began eating slower, like he didn't have the energy to eat as quickly.

we have been to the vets and ches is in some discomfort because the lump is quite big and it's directly in the centre of his tummy. :( he has also lost about 80g since yesterday. :(

we didn't see the usual vet because he's not in until friday, but the vet we saw was actually good and is an exotics vet.

last time ches had a lump, it was more to one side and alot smaller, and that turned out to be a lesion.

he is now on metacam and marbocyl and recovery food and back at the vets friday for an xray and then probably an ultrasound aswell, depending on what the xrays show.

poor little ches. he is not too 'down' though and he loves cuddles with me and he is trying to eat and be himself so that's a good sign.

i am nervous about what we are dealing with but taking one step at a time, meds etc and then the xray. i don't want to think past that yet.

eta: forgot to say, he had his teeth checked and they are fine.

Last edited:
thanks for the vibes. he won't move around now at all, and won't eat anything. he went to eat some lettuce then as soon as it touched his lips he changed his mind. he is being syringe fed now. he seems very tired. :(

ches wouldn't eat or move through the night. he took the first couple of syringe feeds well and through the night, but he wouldn't eat or move in the cage and would be in the same spot i left him for hours. this morning i heard him coughing and could hear a crackling noise. i got him out and he was wheezing and his chest was crackling really loudly. he was also heaving. :(

we went straight to the vets and he has been admitted now. :( maisie is with him and the nurses will be looking after him and syringe feeding etc, and the vet is checking him over and ringing us in a while. he may move his xrays forward to today, but it depends on what's going on.

poor little ches. :(

Sorry to hear he's gone down hill. Hopefully things will improve and it's nothing serious.

thanks.

just had an update - ches is taking syringe feeds well and has been nibbling bits of food. when he was admitted he was quite cold so hadn't been maintaining his temperature but he's nice and warm now and he seems comfortable and maisie is keeping him company of course.

they are hopeful he will start to gradually eat more bits but obviously they will continue syringe feeding.

they are staying in overnight and we can ring between 9 and 10am for an update before his xrays. thankfully aidan is back in tomorrow so he will be doing the xrays and caring for ches.

fingers crossed he keeps stable overnight.

I'm so sorry you've lost him. :cry: He really went through the wars, one way or another, and no-one could have done more. Thinking of you xxx

Oh I'm so sorry :( I can't imagine the heartache you are experiencing. I'm here if you need a chat. Xx

Back