• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oscar has a Lump - Stitches removed and Vet very pleased!

The Vet wishes to have the lump removed. He can't tell if it is an Abscess or something else but must be removed asap. I am waiting for the VN to phone with an appointment at the Hospital. I know they are very busy but hope we don't have to wait too long!

Sorry to hear that Tonibun, hope you get a quick appointment, and it's nothing to worry about. Sending lots of vibes for Oscar xx

Obviously it's very worrying, but I'm pleased that the vet is considering removal of the lump. Hopefully it can be done very soon and also that the diagnosis is that it's something easily treatable. Sending lots of vibes for Oscar.

I hope Oscar can get an appointment quickly and that the removal of his lump will go well, and hopefully he'll be fine again after that. Lots of vibes for Oscar.

I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope you get an appointment soon.Sending feelings for Oscar xx

Abscesses are usually full of very thick white stuff, very like cream cheese or toothpaste - so that won't run out but could be squeezed out, if it's not too painful. There may be greenish gunk from an infection, and maybe blood - those will be runnier and a lot messier. Mop up anything that comes out. Rinse the open wound with saline or dilute hibiscrub, if you can. A syringe may be useful for that bit, plus lots of kitchen roll. Obviously get vet advice as well at that point. I really hope it doesn't come to that, though.

Abscesses are usually full of very thick white stuff, very like cream cheese or toothpaste - so that won't run out but could be squeezed out, if it's not too painful. There may be greenish gunk from an infection, and maybe blood - those will be runnier and a lot messier. Mop up anything that comes out. Rinse the open wound with saline or dilute hibiscrub, if you can. A syringe may be useful for that bit, plus lots of kitchen roll. Obviously get vet advice as well at that point. I really hope it doesn't come to that, though.

Ditto and pack the hole with medical grade Manuka Honey
Probably best to use towels for bedding as it’d be important that the cavity doesn’t get lots of hay etc in it.
You will need to be ultra vigilant re Flystrike too.
Getting Bunny seen by a Vet ASAP would obviously be the most important thing.

Please can we have vibes and prayers for Oscar? I am glad the lump didn't burst so I shall be waiting by the phone to hear from the Vets.

Back