• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oscar has a Lump - Stitches removed and Vet very pleased!

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
He has a lump on his side, not massive but big enough. It wobbles when you touch it. He is 8 now and he is acting normally. He's booked in at my local Vets tomorrow to see what they think. This is the first time we have had an external lump in 20+ years so quite rare.

Last edited:
Poor Oscar :( I hope that his vet appointment goes well and that the lump is nothing serious.

The Vet had a good look at the lump and said it could be removed but sent a photo through to another Vet more experienced with Rabbits. He thought the best course of action, given Oscar's age, would be to monitor it as it isn't causing him any problems, as far as I am aware. We now have a Vet who is very good with Rabbits called Reinach Erasmus who is part of the new set-up ie VetPartners.

I'm glad it's not causing him any trouble. Hopefully monitoring it will be enough and it'll keep not bothering him. Sending lots more vibes for Oscar. That's wonderful that you now have a vet who's really good with rabbits.

My bridge bunny Bonita developed a lump on his one side when he was a little older than Oscar. I could get my fingers under it and it was symmetrical. He was over 10 when it started to grow and became the size of a golf ball and vet removed a benign growth. Bonita was 13 when he went to the bridge.
Sending vibes that Oscar's growth is slow growing and benign.

My bridge bunny Bonita developed a lump on his one side when he was a little older than Oscar. I could get my fingers under it and it was symmetrical. He was over 10 when it started to grow and became the size of a golf ball and vet removed a benign growth. Bonita was 13 when he went to the bridge.
Sending vibes that Oscar's growth is slow growing and benign.

That's interesting! It sounds very similar doesn't it? I don't think Oscar will live till he's 13 as I have a couple of 12 yr olds which look a lot fitter than Oscar.

That's interesting! It sounds very similar doesn't it? I don't think Oscar will live till he's 13 as I have a couple of 12 yr olds which look a lot fitter than Oscar.
It does sound very much alike.
Your 12 year olds are impressive. Lucky bunnies!
It has been a long time since I had a bunny in double digits.
I

Oscar has an appointment with the Vet with a special interest in Rabbits on Tuesday but I think I can guess what he will say. The lump has got a bit bigger although he is eating normally and seems happy with his friend Skye. If he has to be pts she will miss him so much as she really loves him. She lived most of her life with her brother but she is much happier with Oscar. They are both 8.

Oscar has an appointment with the Vet with a special interest in Rabbits on Tuesday but I think I can guess what he will say. The lump has got a bit bigger although he is eating normally and seems happy with his friend Skye. If he has to be pts she will miss him so much as she really loves him. She lived most of her life with her brother but she is much happier with Oscar. They are both 8.

Hopefully the lump can be surgically removed. It might be benign. I doubt a Rabbit Savvy Vet would suggest PTS without knowing what the lump is. Perhaps a punch biopsy could be taken first.

I really hope the vet can find a way to help Oscar Tonibun. Will be thinking of him on Tuesday xx

The way you describe it, it may be able to be surgically removed. Though, even if removal is not possible, Oscar is enjoying life and may be well in himself for quite a while.

Sending vibes.

The way you describe it, it may be able to be surgically removed. Though, even if removal is not possible, Oscar is enjoying life and may be well in himself for quite a while.

Sending vibes.

I hope so - I won't agree to pts easily but you can see he isn't in very good condition. Maybe he should be allowed to die here when the time comes.

Back