• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please leave your opinion on this. Much appriciated

supersonic

Mama Doe
Hi. I have a 3 year old male cross (lionhead and some sort of lop POSSIBLY) and he is going through a major moult at the moment. I was shocked to find a bald patch, about 3x1.5cm, some of which is quite a dark pink. There is already new, dark fur growing back and we have just had a heatwave (gone from about 15 degrees centigrade to almost 30) in a matter of days. He is ealting, drinking and sleeping and happy as ever. He isn't scratching and he seems his usual, chilled out self. He also didn't mind when I was touching it, which to me says that it's not bothering him.
I was thinking of keeping an eye on this patch for a few days, and if it gets worse by the end of the week take him to the vets. Do you think this is the right thing to do? What do you think this could be?

Thanks, Sonic would love some help!

I don't know for sure, but when mine have had bald spots, it's usually because they've nipped at each other, or struggled to get out of someones hands and accidentally gotten some furr pulled out. It grows back soon enough.

If your rabbit has a bald spot for any other reason than physically having the furr pulled out, then I don't know what it can be.

I have a cashmere lop who when is having a bad moult gets bald patches. He skin gets quite sore where the fur has come out and then he gets darker regrowth come through.

Hi. I have a 3 year old male cross (lionhead and some sort of lop POSSIBLY) and he is going through a major moult at the moment. I was shocked to find a bald patch, about 3x1.5cm, some of which is quite a dark pink. There is already new, dark fur growing back and we have just had a heatwave (gone from about 15 degrees centigrade to almost 30) in a matter of days. He is ealting, drinking and sleeping and happy as ever. He isn't scratching and he seems his usual, chilled out self. He also didn't mind when I was touching it, which to me says that it's not bothering him.
I was thinking of keeping an eye on this patch for a few days, and if it gets worse by the end of the week take him to the vets. Do you think this is the right thing to do? What do you think this could be?

Thanks, Sonic would love some help!

I have lionhead rabbits and one of mine ended up with a bald patch which with my bunny was because i'd accidentally managed to pull a clump of fur out while grooming him. with your bunny the skin could be slightly pink because he is too hot,the fur could be missing because he might have overgroomed himself, but as long as you can't seee any signs of mites and the bunny isn't scratching it then he sounds ok to me, when i took mine to the vet she said that as there were signs of fur growing back then it would be ok if the fur kept growing, however if the bald patch on your bun gets bigger or he starts scratching it then he should see the vet asap, this also applies if the skin gets red and sore.

Has the bun been sunbathing? could he have a touch of sunburn perhaps?

I have lionhead rabbits and one of mine ended up with a bald patch which with my bunny was because i'd accidentally managed to pull a clump of fur out while grooming him. with your bunny the skin could be slightly pink because he is too hot,the fur could be missing because he might have overgroomed himself, but as long as you can't seee any signs of mites and the bunny isn't scratching it then he sounds ok to me, when i took mine to the vet she said that as there were signs of fur growing back then it would be ok if the fur kept growing, however if the bald patch on your bun gets bigger or he starts scratching it then he should see the vet asap, this also applies if the skin gets red and sore.

Has the bun been sunbathing? could he have a touch of sunburn perhaps?

Ever since I got him the thing he does most is groom, and I was wondering if he did just overdo it, irritating the skin a little. Thank you very much, I'm glad someone backd up what I was thinking!

I have a cashmere lop who when is having a bad moult gets bald patches. He skin gets quite sore where the fur has come out and then he gets darker regrowth come through.

Let's just hope it's because he's messed up his moult this time! Thank you

Back