• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little Ted - ultrasound was clear :-)

martlou

Warren Veteran
Hello all :wave:

The last couple of days Teddy's been a bit smelly. I've been checking his bum and no poo stuck (his poos have been brilliant since he recovered from the stasis in Feb/March) but his tail and the insides of his back legs have been a bit wet. He drinks around 1.5 bowls of water a day which I would say is an increase but it seems to have coincided with the warmer weather. The majority of this is in the day, he doesn't drink much at all at night (I always rinse out and refil the bowl before we go to bed and it's nearly always full to the top before it gets replaced in the morning).

I've started doing a complete litter tray change every night (was spot cleaning before with full change every couple of days) but couldn't do that now as the newspaper and wood litter are completely saturated. It might be I need to do this morning and night. Otherwise his eating and other behaviour is completely normal. We've washed his botty tonight as I was concerned about wee hurting his skin, his tail still looks stained but I presume that's to be expected after one wash.

Does any of this sound like anything to worry about?

Last edited:
Hello all :wave:

The last couple of days Teddy's been a bit smelly. I've been checking his bum and no poo stuck (his poos have been brilliant since he recovered from the stasis in Feb/March) but his tail and the insides of his back legs have been a bit wet. He drinks around 1.5 bowls of water a day which I would say is an increase but it seems to have coincided with the warmer weather. The majority of this is in the day, he doesn't drink much at all at night (I always rinse out and refil the bowl before we go to bed and it's nearly always full to the top before it gets replaced in the morning).

I've started doing a complete litter tray change every night (was spot cleaning before with full change every couple of days) but couldn't do that now as the newspaper and wood litter are completely saturated. It might be I need to do this morning and night. Otherwise his eating and other behaviour is completely normal. We've washed his botty tonight as I was concerned about wee hurting his skin, his tail still looks stained but I presume that's to be expected after one wash.

Does any of this sound like anything to worry about?

I am afraid it does

Excessive drinking and urination aswell as some urinary incontinence are all symptoms that need prompt Veterinary attention.

Possible causes may include a urinary tract infection, bladder sludge, renal problems, EC.

So I would get him seen by the Vet tomorrow

Good luck xx

I am afraid it does

Excessive drinking and urination aswell as some urinary incontinence are all symptoms that need prompt Veterinary attention.

Possible causes may include a urinary tract infection, bladder sludge, renal problems, EC.

So I would get him seen by the Vet tomorrow

Good luck xx

Thank you Jane, I will take Ted in in the morning. Will report back tomorrow.

Vibes for Little Ted (((((((((((healing vibes))))))))))) aw, it seems like he just got well again too.
Snuggles from me, Mimzy, Fiver and Pip. ((((((((((((((((Ted)))))))))))))))))))))

Morning all

Ted has an appointment at 10 this morning. It's not with our favourite vet as he's not there but it is with the one that looked after him through his recent bouts of stasis. I'll come back after we've been for an update.

Thanks everyone.

Back from vet now. He couldn't feel anything untoward. Has taken blood and urine samples, I am going to drop these off at the lab on my way to work as might get results today and not have to wait potentially after bank hol. Ted is fine in himself. Won't be able to get on here at work so will report back when we hear something.

Thanks.

Back from vet now. He couldn't feel anything untoward. Has taken blood and urine samples, I am going to drop these off at the lab on my way to work as might get results today and not have to wait potentially after bank hol. Ted is fine in himself. Won't be able to get on here at work so will report back when we hear something.

Thanks.

Hopefully the bloods will shed some light on what is going on. It's good that LT is feeling OK within himself xx

Keeping him in my thoughts. I hope the tests come back as helpful.
(((((((((More vibes))))))))))))

Hello all, Ted's blood test has come back clear :D:D. Still waiting for urine test which they are culturing and might not come back for a few more days (takes a while to grow things I guess). Vet said he would think either low grade infection or EC. Is going to wait for result then see if antibiotics needed and will consider panacurring for a month. Vets are open over bank hols and so we just need to take him back in if he shows any signs of being unwell. At the moment he is feasting on his topped up hay so all seems well :D. As is typical as well, he hasn't drunk as much today and the tray is much drier than it's been the last couple of days.

Thanks all for your concerns, it's much appreciated.

Thats a relief. Hopefully over the next few days, whatever was causing the wetness will clear up.

Thanks BYB, it's a funny situation, obviously I don't want there to be anything wrong with him but I feel a bit like I might have put him through the tests for nothing :cry:. He definitely hasn't drunk / weed as much over the last 24 hrs, maybe he's fighting something off himself?

Glad the blood tests were clear and he seems to be doing better! Maybe it was just a funny blip :? But best to have gotten it checked out anyway :) And hope he stays well

I am glad the bloods are clear. Much better to put him through the tests on a hunch than ignore something which could be serious!

Hi all

Vets have just phoned with results of Ted's urine test and his calcium levels are raised (apparently this was the case with his bloods, along with low phospherous but that vet said he wasn't worried, it seems in conjunction with the urine test it's now a worry) :cry:. He asked about Ted's diet in detail and said he was a bit puzzled as there was nothing in his diet to cause concern, but obviously rabbits are individuals in same way as humans are.

He has recommended an xray to check for stones, I'm taking Ted down in the morning. But I'm now really worried as we lost our Scooby piggy 4 yrs ago this week to a bladder stone from a calcium build up and I'm so worried this could happen again :cry::cry::cry:. I'm trying to tell myself that in himself Ted is absolutely fine, whereas Scooby was obviously ill.

What else could cause the raised calcium and lowered phosphorus, can anyone help please?

Aww I hope Little Ted is fine I remember he was having bouts of stasis when I was posting about Fluffy having the same issue.

What does his diet consist of by the way?

Back