• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

small poo

hi, full check up just over a week ago, teeth fine. two small portions of pellets a day, constant fresh hay and grass, greens twice a day :?

hi, full check up just over a week ago, teeth fine. two small portions of pellets a day, constant fresh hay and grass, greens twice a day :?

Does he actually eat a lot of hay/grass ? You could cut out one of the portions of pellets to get him eating mostly hay/grass.

Has anything changed in his environment lately ?

Is he drinking enough and does he get lots of exercise ?

If he is moulting atm I'd groom him daily or even twice daily. The last thing he needs is to be ingesting a lot of fur when his gut motility is already compromised.

ive changed his food over the last two weeks (back to excell) and reduced pellets, was having three times a day, hes overweight! goin down to once a day in about a week

I support Jane's posts totally & absolutely.
These are very much the essentials to sort out 1st.

Many bunnies also get gut slow down simply due to moulting, it's a stress factor for them at a time when they need good gut throughput to grow a good coat.
As your bunny is 4, unless he's had previous gut problems I'd be very suspicious that something else is going on as outlined by Jane. A further possibility is recent immunisation.

The best & most natural gut stimulant for a rabbit is fiber - hay & if they are used to it grass.
If that's not quite enough bunny safe twigs (fine) eg apple /willow can help as can safe tree & shrub leaves especially bramble (or raspberry) which can be found everywhere even in cities, in hedges round old cemetaries.

If the small poo continues overnight I would get the Vet to re-examine him tomorrow. A hands on examination will give much more information as to what is going on. The Vet will be able to feel for abnormalities within his abdomen and listen to gut sounds etc.

The fact that he has had dietary changes may be the cause and things may improve once he eats more hay/grass rather than filling up on pellets. But I would want to rule out any need for medical intervention at this stage by getting him re-examined.

Maybe you could decrease the pellets and increase the amount of hay? I read somewhere that a rabbit diet can/should consist of 80% dried hay and herbs. I changed my bun's diet gradually from mainly pellets and no hay to only a small portion of pellets every day (I think about 1 egg cup full is recommend for small rabbits), some fresh greens and herbs, and tons of hay. The size of his droppings has almost doubled since, and the colour has changed from almost black to a much lighter brown - looks like the bunny poop you find outside in fields :D

Back