• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unspayed girl bun humping (very bemused) neutered boy

Kavanne

Mama Doe
Literally just saw this for the first time thus morning. Rupert didn't seem to care and about 10 mins later when I left they flopped together under the bed. Is this just because it's spring?? (they're only 4.5 months old hence sapphire not being done yet!)

She is probably becoming mature now. It is technically breeding season and her hormones are telling her it is mating season. It is also a sign of dominance, she is telling Rupert not to forget that she is boss. Is Rupert castrated yet? You might have to split them if not until they are done if they are now sexually mature, otherwise you could end up with an unwanted litter.

He is neutered don't worry. Is it a problem? Should I let her do it or should I get my trusty spray bottle out to deter her?

He is neutered don't worry. Is it a problem? Should I let her do it or should I get my trusty spray bottle out to deter her?

It could be a huge problem because if Rupert is shall we say "turned on" he might hump her back and even though he is neutered she may fall pregnant because male rabbits remain fertile for up to 4 weeks after castration. Females must be kept away from males for about 14 days after being spayed. It's best to keep them separate (but in adjacent cages) except when you can supervise them very closely.

Rabbits don't have breeding seasons either, they ovulate on demand so the sight, scent or sexual attention from a male can cause a female to start ovulating and once the mating action has taken place she is 99.9% guaranteed to be pregnant. Its the secret to the species survival.

I personally would not let them have physical contact until the girl is neutered. They should be allowed to see each other but not play together just yet.

Rupert had the snip on 14 feb do we are well out of 4 weeks. I am more concerned about this stressing Rupert out if she carries on!

Rupert had the snip on 14 feb do we are well out of 4 weeks. I am more concerned about this stressing Rupert out if she carries on!

Hi :wave:

Males can be fertile for 6 weeks after neutering.

It's a very good idea to have your female rabbit speyed as:
1) it will almost certainly remove the risk of uterine cancer (85% risk in unspeyed does)
2) she is likely to be become hormonal & possibly aggressive towards the male and even you and
3) the aggression could result in a fight, injuries and even death + the bond is far more likely to break :(

Sigh. She is 4.5 months old. Twickenham vets (highly teccomended here) said best to wait until
She's 6 months. Rupert had his bits off as soon as they appeared. My breeder and vet were happy for them to stay together.

So I take it this behaviour will not scar Rupert in any irrepairable way???

The main risk is the risk of them fighting due to her behaviour/hormones. He could easily object to it if he doesn't like it. I doubt it will emotionally scar him though, if he doesn't like it he will just let her know.

HTML:
The main risk is the risk of them fighting due to her behaviour/hormones. He could easily object to it if he doesn't like it. I doubt it will emotionally scar him though, if he doesn't like it he will just let her know.
It's quite funny he just sits there and waits for her to get bored. Then they go for a lie down together. I think hes wise beyond his months.

Thing is, fights and injuries can happen very quickly. When I was bonding my two pairs into a four the bond was quite well along and they were interacting well and one day I nipped downstairs to get some hay, wasn't gone five minutes, but I'd forgotten to shut the door to the spare bedroom, the room where the lionheads had been previously. By the time I got back Mini had inflicted a rather nasty wound on Nutmeg and ripped part of the skin on her hind leg. Nutmeg got over it fine thankfully, but it cost me quite a bit and the bond never recovered and eventually I had to abandon it completely. Nutmeg hasn't forgotten who it was who hurt her and one sight or sniff of them and she turns on Smudge.

In your situation I personally think the prudent and safest course would be to seperate until she is spayed. Maybe it isn't worth leaving them together and running the risk of ruining the bond completely. It would only be for a few weeks, then you can reintroduce them on neutral territory.

Sigh. She is 4.5 months old. Twickenham vets (highly teccomended here) said best to wait until
She's 6 months. Rupert had his bits off as soon as they appeared. My breeder and vet were happy for them to stay together.

So I take it this behaviour will not scar Rupert in any irrepairable way???

I would go back to the vets and explain that she has now reached puberty, I am sure that you will be advised appropriately. Whilst they are happy together there is not normally a problem with them being together, however as soon as humping starts you will need to be very observant as nasty injuries can easily occur.

I would go back to the vets and explain that she has now reached puberty, I am sure that you will be advised appropriately. Whilst they are happy together there is not normally a problem with them being together, however as soon as humping starts you will need to be very observant as nasty injuries can easily occur.

Funny I should have another reply to this! I was watching them today and she seems to be doing it a bit
More so I am going to phone vet tomorrow and discuss whether it may be prudent to operate sooner. She already weighs 3kgs as she's a French lop so she's plenty big but I will go with what they say.

Rupert still not bothered by it at all, I think just very embarrassed by the whole thing.

Continue to keep a close eye, if he gets fed up and attacks her to tell her to f-off, or if she hurts him (they often bite down to prevent the other rabbit from running off) then they may not forget it easily. Of course all of this humping will likely be stressing him as well.

The rescue I got Annabelle from have a VERY rabbit savvy vet, and they generally neuter mixed sex litters at 15-16 weeks so they can keep the babies together, so I'm sure it is a safe procedure at that age. It also has the advantage of removing the hormones before any big problems in bonds develop and before any hormonal behaviours become habitual.

Phoned vets today and they said they would rather wait if possible.

If there's any problems between them I will phone immediately but vet said it's normal and I guess with her going through puberty AND it being spring, her behaviour is probably amplified.

She'll be 6 months end of may so not long to wait anyway :)

Phoned vets today and they said they would rather wait if possible.

If there's any problems between them I will phone immediately but vet said it's normal and I guess with her going through puberty AND it being spring, her behaviour is probably amplified.

She'll be 6 months end of may so not long to wait anyway :)

:? Are you talking to their rabbit savvy vet?

There really is no reason to wait any longer and the sooner the better really to avoid a fall out/injury. Only my opinion of course :wave:

I have to be honest, mine would also say to wait. They prefer to wait for a nethie and other smaller bunnies, despite them maturing faster, so I can see why they would want to wait for a french lop who will develop slower.

To get any flexibilithy I would need to take my bunny to the vet for a physical and discuss that individual bunny.

I have to be honest, mine would also say to wait. They prefer to wait for a nethie and other smaller bunnies, despite them maturing faster, so I can see why they would want to wait for a french lop who will develop slower.

To get any flexibilithy I would need to take my bunny to the vet for a physical and discuss that individual bunny.

Fair enough :wave: Guess I'm concerned about them falling out & the risk of injury :(

Back