• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent :( - Hesitant to separate... (neutered brothers fighting)

ceremonie

New Kit
Hi everyone. I still haven't posted a proper intro/update on my new bunnies because I wanted to wait until we'd picked names... but they're still undecided "^-^

However I'm having some difficulty and hope someone might have some advice, so here we are :( Sorry for the long post.

For anyone who hasn't seen my first post: I adopted my two bunnies just under two weeks ago. They are brothers, now just under five months old, and were both neutered at the start of January. Before and since then, they have had a super close and very peaceful relationship, doing everything together, playing, following each other around, grooming and snuggling, etc. and according to their foster carer were two of the easiest to care for rabbits and easiest neutering process she'd dealt with.

Yesterday while out of the room I heard noise and came in to find them fighting, leaping about and tornadoing around each other with tufts of fur all over. I checked them over and separated them for a couple of hours, during which time they calmed down quickly and were munching hay together on either side of the fence, napping etc. Since they seemed good I put them back together in a smaller area than their full pen (i.e. leaving the fence down the middle) and observed them all through the afternoon and night. Once in the first half an hour or so, they began sniffing at each other's tails and then started picking up speed again, so I moved them apart (just momentarily), and after that they did not show aggression at all that I could notice. Throughout the next few hours I could see both of them but one in particular lowering their heads to ask for grooming, and often the other one did groom them.

I slept in the living room by their pen and as I say, they were completely fine through the rest of the day and all night. In the morning they still seemed good so I left them together, but as soon as I was out the door I thought maybe I should have separated them again... and then a couple of hours later watching the bunny cam while at work I saw them fight again TT-TT
They ended it after I would say thirty seconds or so, but from other clips after that there was further occasional aggression or at least tension, like facing off against each other with ears pointed forward, etc.

When I got home around 1pm there was fluff Everywhere but thankfully no blood; however one of them's eye had been watering and they both had tiny minor scratches to their ears, so I took them to the vet this afternoon and have been given Loxicom, and antibiotic eye drops (Isathal). She did not specifically recommend totally separating while he healed or anything, as there is only some inflammation/resulting conjunctivitis and no wound etc.

My problem is that I am uncertain how to proceed to make sure that they can live together as a bonded pair. I will obviously be separating them while I am out for the foreseeable future, but I'm so hesitant to separate more than necessary because they are otherwise still interacting well. I don't want to risk removing their bond completely and having to start all over again if that is not necessary. I know that hormones can still be an issue for a while after neutering, but it's strange to me because like I said they have been in complete harmony for about four weeks post neuter until this point.

Out-of-routine things that occurred on Saturday are that I was out the entire day and had a friend give them their food in the morning; and that I relented and set up another litterbox where they had been stubbornly peeing (in addition to their other boxes which they did also use). For some reason I feel like it's possible one of them (the one who seems to ask for grooming more, and not the one with the eye injury) got territorial over this litterbox??? Possibly that started it?

tl;dr: My previously inseparable 4-weeks-post-neuter brothers have fought; what steps should I take to give their bond the best chance of quick and complete repair? :'(

- editing to add photos of them yesterday evening (i.e. post initial fight) ; - ;
a721813d843d5177702361594f90260a22b7d9b6.jpg
094cc66f99df1605c15d81216e93c1159d52af98.jpg

Last edited:
I would keep them separate. They may be OK with dividing mesh / bars as long as they can't get over the barrier, or they may need to be in totally different areas, out of sight and smell of each other. 4 weeks post-neuter isn't really long enough for adolescent hormones to reduce, and they have been moved to a new home as well. So they are doubly stressed out and are reacting in the way hormonal adolescent rabbits do - by fighting. You really can't risk putting them back together for a few weeks, and you may need to fully rebond them or consider turning them into 2 M/F pairs. I'm afraid there really isn't a quick fix here.

I agree with Shimmer. So many people have the same problem. I personally feel they will fall out time and time again, problem being they can injure one another very badly. It's just what Rabbits do I am afraid, no matter what other people might have told you.

I'm so sorry this has happened :( Sadly I also agree with Shimmer's advice.

In addition to the fact that they are in a new home only 4 weeks post neuter, it is also 'spring fever' time, when hormones in rabbits are heightened. The other problem would be that if you kept separating them, it would cause confusion,whilst they are trying to establish their heirarchy.

Really sorry to hear your update. I'm inclined to agree with the advice to separate for a few weeks & let them calm down & their hormones subside, then personally I'd try again. I appreciate this will be worrying you & I know its hard to have 2 split 2 bunnies up. Try not to be too disheartened.

They are beautiful boys btw

Thank you everyone for your advice. I think I knew that would be the answer <3 I think I had it in mind that hormones should be mostly settled by a month after neuter, but having been revising the recommendations etc. since posting it definitely seems like most people recommend eight weeks minimum before trying to bond in other cases; I suppose that's no different just because they've already been together u _ u

& thank you for your reassurance also, joey&boo. I have been feeling very miserable about this so I appreciate it. <3

I will separate them for now, probably within sight of each other since they have for the majority of the time been enjoying each other's company, but keeping an eye on them in case I do need to move them to different spaces; and then plan to try rebonding them properly once they are a bit further on from their neuter/moving home.

Have been thinking about your two. How are they getting on side by side?

(Thought I had set up daily email notifications for replies but apparently not!)

They are doing very well in general. Both happy to be near each other, no aggression at all through the fence (I watch them all the time at work through the pet camera because I'm so anxious about them ^^"). At the end of the first week, before I'd had time to make a more "permanent" temporary enclosure (i.e. bigger space each rather than just half a pen), Yuzu (sable one) who is very clever managed to squiiish his way under the one unsecured corner of the fence o_o" and I had to run home from work (thankfully not far and thankfully they let me) to quickly build a second temporary fence. So that could have been awful — but, thankfully again, in the time it took me to get home it looked like they chased a little but stopped, and didn't hurt each other. Tapioca (black one) was quite stressed for a day though :(

Since then they have definitely both been eager to get through the new fence but it is much more secure :lol: And I've got some ceramic tiles at that same corner, where they were also beginning to dig (they really don't otherwise dig much at all). They really seem to want to be back together, and considering they will flop and sleep and groom beside each other through the fence, I am really hoping that's in a positive way rather than a "let me at him!" way :lol:

Today is eight weeks exactly since their neuter! I am planning to try to rebond them starting from the 10th March, assuming I can book the following week off work. Hopefully since they are starting from a relatively non-aggressive place it won't take more days than that to become confident leaving them unsupervised... but I guess we'll see :shock:

Thank you for keeping them in your thoughts ; w ; <3

Last edited:
Thanks for the update :)

It does sound very positive although, as we've discussed previously, behaviour with the security of a barrier will not always be indicative of behaviour without. Rabbits can be very resourceful at times can't they and also quite determined. It certainly doesn't sound like a 'let me at him' sort of way I agree.

Your plans for attempting to put them together from 10th March sound sensible. Fingers firmly crossed for then :)

Back