• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis/Dental Recovery

Jenson

Mama Doe
Hello
Can anyone reassure me that it takes a little while (days) for a bun to recover from statis and dental?

I've given a brief outline in my other post about advice on meds. Poor Jenson has had a tough time the last few days. Overnight at the vets, teeth checked, spurs found, back home, concious dental yesterday but pain meds. He's quite bright at night but quiet all day and not eating much hay and not pooping till the evening (a small number today but not much). He did make a tooth noise earlier (after his morning meds) but hasn't since. I'm most bothered about how quiet he his because he's not usually this quiet but he is still eating, not as much as usual and not much hay.

I'm finding it all very hard as I don't have many rabbit experienced friends, my friend at work who has bunnies is taking them to be bonded today so has a lot going on to. Back to my question, does it take a while to recover? He's been brilliant up till now, even when he was poorly before he bounced back really well.

Personally I do not think that it is possible to do a thorough Dental on a conscious Rabbit and it may be that some spurs have been missed. It can take a few days for the GI tract motility to return to normal after an episode of stasis, but if there are ongoing Dental issues remaining then the GI tract motility is unlikely to improve.

Has your Rabbit had a full Dental Work-Up including skull Xrays to assess tooth *roots* ? If the tooth roots are elongated this can cause significant pain. Part of the management of TRE is to keep the crowns of the molars burred down to gum level. This cannot be done without sedation. Just taking off molar spurs in a conscious Dental will do absolutely nothing to address TRE issues.

Unfortunatly we are no stranger to statis, it can definitly take time to reistablish gut motility.
I think Jimby has taken almost 2weeks to get over a bad bout.
As long as he is eating, pooing and drinking I wouldnt worry, just keep enticing him with all his favorite foods (try to avoid anything too sugary though as this may only exasterbate the problem)
Jimby used to have regular consious dentals due to spurs, the reason for doing them consious was because of his tempremental tummy.

It took Sparky a good few months to get back on his normal amount of pellets (he only gets 50g but we reduced this to 25g when he was on stasis). We did however, keep up with the hay and would give him some at least three times a day. I hope that helps.

Hi. Thanks
It's difficult at the moment. He's very quiet during the day so he went back to the vet for a check up last night and he was bright and behaving like a bunny. All good.

Then quiet again today. No poops again till this evening. This seems to be a pattern at the moment. Brighter and poops in the evening then quiet and not pooping during the day. Which is why I took him to the vet yesterday and he said his tummy felt good, good poops in there, he was bright and investigating everything.
I'm at a loss. The check was because everything was up and down but he was ok and today it's again.
Yesterday I was thinking I'm being silly he's fine but not so I took him anyway and felt better with reassurance from the vet (very nice bunny experienced vet who works out of 2 sites) and today I don't know again.
Lots of meds. Part of me wonders if they aren't helping or if he needs a few days left alone or if I'm ignoring something I shouldn't but thats why we went yesterday.

He's not eating as much hay as usual so I guess that's affecting things. He's eating hay more in the evening when the metacam would be worn off or low (I won't stop him eating to give it as I figure it can't be hurting or he wouldn't be munching). And I think the poops are all in the evening because he's munching hay.

Can metacam make them sleepy or anything?
Stress (and I'm rambling).

Back