• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental now or wait???

Hi RU, my bunnies had their jabs recently and the vet checked their teeth and said they are a bit sharp on both bunnies but nothing to worry about yet. Here's the question, both bunnies are eating well and 'full of bounce' in every way, should I pop them to the vets now when I can get time off work to look after them or do I wait until they stop eating and seem 'uncomfortable' then take them?? To be honest, I'd rather take them one morning perhaps on a Friday then I'll have lots of time to care for them on their return home : )) They live outside, both neutered and have an extreamlly vaired diet which includes as much hay as their little mouths can cope with. What do you think I should do??? :)

Hi RU, my bunnies had their jabs recently and the vet checked their teeth and said they are a bit sharp on both bunnies but nothing to worry about yet. Here's the question, both bunnies are eating well and 'full of bounce' in every way, should I pop them to the vets now when I can get time off work to look after them or do I wait until they stop eating and seem 'uncomfortable' then take them?? To be honest, I'd rather take them one morning perhaps on a Friday then I'll have lots of time to care for them on their return home : )) They live outside, both neutered and have an extreamlly vaired diet which includes as much hay as their little mouths can cope with. What do you think I should do??? :)

I would wait as it could be months until they actually need doing and on a rich hay diet the spurs may disappear on their own. Sometimes they show subtle signs such as starting to drop food or not eating as much as normal so I would take them when this happens.

I hope this is helpful.. I have 2 dental buns myself so know how stressful it can be!

We cancelled Poppy's first dental because I couldn't get to the vet :roll: her next was a week later and she stopped eating the day before it had got that bad. I regret it but there was nothing I could do to get her there. She ended up costing £200. Her teeth are awfully misaligned but are at a good length now.

Leo is having a dental on Monday, the one side of his teeth (spurs), really sharp, they won't be able to go down on their own with hay even though he eats it and the grass we give him, I just want it done now so he isn't uncomfortable or stops eating :(

Back