• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How in the hell can breeders stand this?

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Following on from this thread here...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280757

The wee girl was in her nest all of last night (I assume). I dropped some cooked chicken through the bars just outside her nest last night as she's been very active up until now. This morning the chicken is still there, it looks like she hasn't been out the nest.

I'm desperate to check on her but if she's giving birth or has done in the past 24 hours she may kill the babies if I do. I'm not really sure how long I can leave it until I check. Heck I may well already be too late to do anything for her.:cry: I can't hear anything from her nest at all and I'm really scared she has died trying to give birth.

This is really not worth the stress.:(

I'm so sorry, what an awful situation to be in. I'm not sure what I would do either. :(

Have you asked on a hammy forum to see when it's safe to check? I know there are quite a few breeders on Hamster Central.

use the handle of a wooden spon to lift the bedding a little to have a look.We had a litter of hamsters 6 years ago now and the mum had 14:shock: if she is very young she may well kill them anyway:cry:

I've got a thread going on the hamster care forum I visit so they're advising me. I've put some boiled egg at the entrance to her nest to try and tempt her to at least let us know she's OK.

The problem is that she's chosen to make her nest in a cardboard box so it's not easy to open without disturbing her. If she's not moved by the time I get back from work I had thought that maybe I could slip my hand under the box to see if it's warm. At least that way I'd be sure that she was alive at least.:(

Poor wee girl is far too young to be going through all this.

I've got a thread going on the hamster care forum I visit so they're advising me. I've put some boiled egg at the entrance to her nest to try and tempt her to at least let us know she's OK.

The problem is that she's chosen to make her nest in a cardboard box so it's not easy to open without disturbing her. If she's not moved by the time I get back from work I had thought that maybe I could slip my hand under the box to see if it's warm. At least that way I'd be sure that she was alive at least.:(

Poor wee girl is far too young to be going through all this.

That's heart breaking xxx

Poor wee girl is far too young to be going through all this.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, even reputable breeders only breed between 4-6 months old, plus they know the genetics. :( Why didn't they part before? I have asked PAH to check the sex of guinea before cos there was a lot of humping going on.

hmm, if she has chosen to kindle in a box, I would be tempted to disturb the cage somewhere away from the babies. (I open the cage at the opposite side to the nest). Not the most othodox way, but Id rather know she was ok and not in danger. Mums will often sit on the nest to protect and keep warm the babies, only coming off for food. It may be that she just doesn't need it right now.

But I understand your concern

Agreed, even reputable breeders only breed between 4-6 months old, plus they know the genetics. :( Why didn't they part before? I have asked PAH to check the sex of guinea before cos there was a lot of humping going on.

hmm, if she has chosen to kindle in a box, I would be tempted to disturb the cage somewhere away from the babies. (I open the cage at the opposite side to the nest). Not the most othodox way, but Id rather know she was ok and not in danger. Mums will often sit on the nest to protect and keep warm the babies, only coming off for food. It may be that she just doesn't need it right now.

But I understand your concern

Hi lottie, I've not actually had the cage open for the past 48 hours. I've just been dropping fresh food through the bars near the entrance of the box with a big pair of tweezers.

I'll definately check tonight when I get in from work I think. Hopefully she won't be as frightened of the nest moving slightly with my hand going under it rather than me opening the box up.

The wee girl was actually handed in to P@H by a couple along with all her littermates. The staff estimated them to be 7 weeks old when they were handed in and the girls and boys were seperated then.

Last edited:
Good news is that she's absolutely fine, I was advised to take a wee peep in her nest and she's holed up with a wee stash of food. She came out for a wee wander about the cage when I left her but is back in bed now.

Looking at pics of pregnant hamsters she doesn't seem very round. Hopefully she's not preggers at all.:D

I'm so glad she's ok.... perhaps she just needed some extra beauty sleep. :lol::lol:

Back