• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Culture and Sensitivity Test

It depends on what they are doind, but essentially they need a swab from the area.

I'm guessing its something respiratory related?

I suppose what I'm really asking is will he be in any discomfort. I thought I read somewhere a GA may be needed depending on how far back you swab, but I think we are doing it consious.

I suppose what I'm really asking is will he be in any discomfort. I thought I read somewhere a GA may be needed depending on how far back you swab, but I think we are doing it consious.

Yes for an obligate nose breather, having a high nasal swab can be very distressing without a GA. I think i'd personally want a GA or at the very least some sedation before proceeding. The swab needs to be taken from as high up as possible to get an accurate result.

Sometimes if there is lung involvement a GA may not be appropriate. I would still want sedation of some sort if done consciously. Good luck, is this for Bluebell? x

Yes, he's finally strong enough that we've been able to take him off the meds long enough so we can get a swab.

There isn't any lung involvement but given how poorly he has been I'm not sure vet wants to do a GA unless really necessary.

I'm really worried now, am I doing the right thing.

I can ask about some kind of sedation. What about pain relief after, will he be sore?

Yes, he's finally strong enough that we've been able to take him off the meds long enough so we can get a swab.

There isn't any lung involvement but given how poorly he has been I'm not sure vet wants to do a GA unless really necessary.

I'm really worried now, am I doing the right thing.

I can ask about some kind of sedation. What about pain relief after, will he be sore?

Of course you are doing the right thing, it is important to find out what bacteria is causing the problems.

Yes there is no harm in asking for sedation. He may be fine without it, I have heard of many buns have it done without any. I didn't mean to worry you sorry :oops: I'm sure he will be just fine. I don't see any harm in giving a NSAID afterwards - is he not on them already? These alone will help control the inflammation in his respiratory mucosa and his snuffles provided he does not have any kidney/liver issues? If I had a bun with chronic snuffles I think I would want them on a daily dose of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories if possible. x

The other alternative might be to get a sample by doing a tear duct flush (which can sometimes be done conscious) and collecting the exudate as it comes out of the nose and sending this off for analysis - that's what Richard Saunders suggested we did with Santa. It can be a :censored: to get a decent nasal swab from bunnies because the infection is usually deep inside pockets right up the top so it's pretty inaccessible to a swab sometimes even under GA!

is he not on them already? These alone will help control the inflammation in his respiratory mucosa and his snuffles provided he does not have any kidney/liver issues? If I had a bun with chronic snuffles I think I would want them on a daily dose of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories if possible. x

Normally yes he has metacam but we took him off all his meds in preparation for the swab.

If we don't get any joy from the swab vet is going to have a look at what other diagnostics we can try as the usual throw every antibiotic going at it isn't working. Still the daily nebulising has been a good send as this time last month I didn't think he'd be with us much longer, now he's strong enough for a week off meds.

I can't wait till his new hutch is up and we can move him in.

The other alternative might be to get a sample by doing a tear duct flush (which can sometimes be done conscious) and collecting the exudate as it comes out of the nose and sending this off for analysis - that's what Richard Saunders suggested we did with Santa. It can be a to get a decent nasal swab from bunnies because the infection is usually deep inside pockets right up the top so it's pretty inaccessible to a swab sometimes even under GA!

Would this work if he has no problems with his eyes. Its just his nose that has discharge.

Yes, because the tear ducts drain via the nasal passages, so any flushing through there would pick up any accessible, loose goo in the nasal cavities and flush that out on the way through - so there's a reasonable chance of getting some live bacteria out that way too. If you're doing that, I'd suggest it's worth getting cytology done too, as it might give more clues as to what is going on. When Santa had hers done, it took 55ml of fluid before it ran clear :shock:

The other alternative might be to get a sample by doing a tear duct flush (which can sometimes be done conscious) and collecting the exudate as it comes out of the nose and sending this off for analysis - that's what Richard Saunders suggested we did with Santa. It can be a :censored: to get a decent nasal swab from bunnies because the infection is usually deep inside pockets right up the top so it's pretty inaccessible to a swab sometimes even under GA!

I didn't realise it could be done this way - sounds far less invasive! :thumb:

Thank you. Excuse my ignorance but whats a cytology?

It analyses all the goo to see what it consists of (but doesn't grow things like the C&S does). So in Santa, for instance, it showed that there were lots of white blood cells/pus, and also lots of cells which are released in response to allergy (I forget what, it was a long time ago now) etc. It just helps to build up a bigger picture of what might be going on.

PL - I have no idea whether it's any more or less effective though!

Back