• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spot blood test

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
I'm being a bit curious here :lol:

Someone mentioned doing "spot bloods" from their rabbit, and for some reason I pictured taking a pin ***** sample from the bunny, like you'd do a finger-***** test on a person. Now, later, I just can't picture how it would work with a wriggling bunny. Googling it hasn't shed any light.

So RU wealth of knowledge, how do you do a spot blood test? Is it just another term for a run of the mill needle drawn sample?

(the ***** are for a word starting with P and ending with a k by the way)

Could it be from the ear maybe? I do spot bloods from my dog for his glucose testing and that is a pri*k test which the recommended site is the inner ear, Jack won't allow or the alternative dog sites apart from the base of his tail so I shave it and do from there! Can't think a spot blood test would tell you much from a rabbit as it's so little blood unless it's for one test like glucose.

Yeah I was thinking similar to Liz probably from ear for glucose testing. Well thats where bloods are taken from for bloods IME. I wouldn't fancy doing it myself though - bunnies bleed a lot (I know its not you thinking of doing it)

Yeah I was thinking similar to Liz probably from ear for glucose testing. Well thats where bloods are taken from for bloods IME. I wouldn't fancy doing it myself though - bunnies bleed a lot (I know its not you thinking of doing it)

No no, I wouldn't do it! Not unless it became part of their care needs like Liz's dog. It was a hormone panel they mentioned so it sounded like you'd need a lot more than just a glucose amount which Is I think what's stumped me, because I was picturing having to squeeze for ages!

I do them from the ear from the marginal vein for blood glucose monitor testing.

Do you do that inside the ear, or do you have to shave fur away?

The ear is so obvious, I have no idea why I pictured the foot and forgot the most obvious part of the bunny's body might be useful!

Do you do that inside the ear, or do you have to shave fur away?

The ear is so obvious, I have no idea why I pictured the foot and forgot the most obvious part of the bunny's body might be useful!

I shave the fur from the outer side. In small Rabbits or very sick Rabbits who are likely to be very ‘shut down’ it can be hard to raise a vein. It is sometimes a bit easier to access the lateral saphenous vein which is on the outer side of the lower part of the hind leg.

Back