• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Despite getting a clean bill of health a few weeks ago Lilac has since developed snuffles. She sounds like a pig snorting when she's eating. First noticed it on Monday, I was meant to be working at the Old Bailey today but luckily it was cancelled and I've been able to get her booked in at the vet. She's slightly off her food this morning, I gave her some porridge oats as that's my "test" with my rabbits to see if they're unwell, she ate some but left some which would never normally happen.

She had pasteurella about 18 months ago so am unsure if it's a recurrence of that or something else. Fingers crossed the vet can get to the bottom of it later today.

With Snuffles it usually does recur several times, unfortunately. Is she producing a white nasal discharge and/or sneezing ? Sometimes upper respiratory tract symptoms can be related to tooth root elongation. The tooth roots can penetrate the nasal passages.

Hopefully the Vet will be able to identify the primary cause for Lilac’s symptoms and that she will respond well to treatment x

Sending vibes. Pasturella can return, though best if treated quickly as you are doing. It could be allergies and at this time of year too.

So she's had a very thorough examination at the vet, no issues with teeth that the vet could see or feel (although appreciate she hasn't had an xray). He thinks it's a RTI so she has antibiotics for a week, will take her back and ask for a head xray if there's no improvement. She's not sneezing and doesn't have any discharge, it's "just" the grunting noise when she eats/cleans herself.

I went to the gym after posting and my other half texted me to say he was feeding her and she was eating normally, so she can't have been feeling too bad! The vet was happy with her weight and overall presentation so fingers crossed

Hopefully she will respond to the and, although IME a longer course is usually needed to address a ‘snuffles’ flare up-14 days minimum. Nebulising with a sterile saline solution can help relieve nasal congestion. Bisolvon, a POM mucolytic, can also be beneficial as it thins out the mucus making it easier to drain out.

Hopefully she will respond to the and, although IME a longer course is usually needed to address a ‘snuffles’ flare up-14 days minimum. Nebulising with a sterile saline solution can help relieve nasal congestion. Bisolvon, a POM mucolytic, can also be beneficial as it thins out the mucus making it easier to drain out.

Thanks Jane. When she had pasteurella I think she was on antibiotics for a month or so, I have a few extra days' worth in the bottle (provided we don't spill any) so hopefully that will cover it, but will take her back if there's no improvement.

Back