• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Bunny Troubles!

Bandit724

New Kit
So I've got a female rabbit and she's about 2 years old now. I usually let her free roam in the apartment in which case she's all over the place. Recently she's stopped roaming during free time and simply sits in one spot (mind you it is one of her favorite spots to chill) however, it's very hard to get her moving and she's hardly eating. She's eaten some of her pellets and some hay over the last two days. She's drinking fine and peeing a lot but no poops since yesterday afternoon. Thinking it might be a false preganacy or a blockage but not sure. She does not seem to be in pain, just lazier than usual and not eating as much. Also, not sure if this could be a factor but she ate a bunch of rubber about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks ago. This isn't the first time she's eaten rubber and usually she's find, mostly just worried cuz she ate a lot of it this time. If you guys need anymore info I'll be happy to provide. Was wondering what should be done?

Last edited:
She needs to see a vet very urgently if she has not pooed for that amount of time. Please get her to a vet straight away. Sounds like she may well have a blockage.

:wave: Rabbits are exceptionally good at hiding pain & discomfort. I would advise that you get your bunny to the vet asap.

Your Rabbit sounds as though she has a GI obstruction which is a SURGICAL EMERGENCY and if she is not seen by a Vet TONIGHT she may well be gone by tomorrow :cry:

Sorry to be so blunt but there is no 'nice' way to say this.

Please call your Vet NOW.

Rubber :eek:

Hope she gets well soon, deffo contact your vet if she hasnt poo'ed as buns should be constantly eating and pooing. X

Update

Called the vet and she suggested fruit juices for her, mainly pineapple. any other suggestions for fruit juice and how much should I give her?

Your Rabbit needs to be EXAMINED by a Vet. Please INSIST that this happens.
There really is no viable alternative. If the Vet you just spoke with refuses to see her tonight try somewhere else. If you let us know what part of the country you are in we can hopefully offer some contact details of other Vets in your area.

I'm a student and don't have money for an emergency assessment by a vet, it's just too expensive. I don't know what to do now. In the fredericton area in New Brunswick Canada.

she really needs a vet now, if you cant afford an emergency fee you should have taken her as soon as you noticed she wasnt right, rabbits deteriorate VERY quickly.

im sure your vets will understand and be happy to help you with a payment plan

As others have said your bun really needs to see the vet tonight.
Do you not have anyone with a credit card you could borrow from? or as Lil Miss said alot of vets will allow you to have a payment plan.

You have to get her to an emergency vet. Find a way to pay. You just have to do what it takes for your rabbit to not suffer. Sorry to be blunt.

Now that it's day time, although late, does Canada have a free, or low cost service like our PDSA if you can't afford vet's fees?

Your bunny needs pain relief, & lots of fluids which can be given under the skin by a vet as a minimum. If your bunny hasn't blocked which can be felt on examination, he can be given drugs to help the gut to start up again.

ETA I've pm'd LloydFerris to ask about the situation re PDSA services in Canada.

Last edited:
Is there an animal charity which can help (we have the PDSA here)? Sorry don't know what else to suggest. If she gets through this for god's sake don't let her eat rubber again. Has she started pooing yet?

Back