• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing but no discharge??

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone, poor Olly just seems to always have something wrong with him! I thought his head tilt was getting better but I think now I was imagining it, it seems to improve a bit and come back... This morning he's been sneezing a few times and my heart is sinking, surely there can't be something else wrong with him?? There isn't any discharge and his paws are dry... Do you think he might just have dust up his nose? :?

Could be? But with his head tilt and the fact that he may already have an infection and/or lowered immune system I would get his chest listened to asap with the sneezing, especially if it continues throughout the day. If it is just dust it should clear soon, if it carries on I would get it looked at as it may be that he has a chest infection developing and it's better to be on the ball with those.

Some echinacea in his water might help boost his immune system at this difficult time for him. I do hope he feels better soon x

Thanks prettylupin, he hasn't sneezed since so think maybe I was being paranoid! Will keep a close eye on him though :)

The head tilt could also be caused by an ear infection which could all be linked.

Lucky had a morning of this a few weeks ago. I took him to the vet and they gave him an anti-inflammatory jab and he was fine.

They did all checks on him and decided it was probably dust or hay or something that he wasnt able to dislodge at first.

It's prob best to get it checked out so they can rule out anything sinister.

Good luck ripminnie xx

He had his convenia injection last Monday... Why do you ask, might it be connected? He hasn't sneezed since yesterday morning so think I was panicking for nothing... His poor little head is still tilted though :(

He had his convenia injection last Monday... Why do you ask, might it be connected? He hasn't sneezed since yesterday morning so think I was panicking for nothing... His poor little head is still tilted though :(

Was trying to work out if it would still be covering, which is may just be. There is a lot of research to show that Convenia is 14 days in cats, but in rabbits can last only between 5-7 days, so needs dosing more regularly.

His head is not going to come up instantly, but you did note that he was doing better on, I think, day 2, which is a good thing and shows it is sensitive to that antibiotics. Tilly used to improve on day 2 and then go bad again on day 9, so she got a good 7 days, and once we figured that out, we dosed every 7 days (although we did gradually cut it down to 10, from 14, and then to 7 from 10).

Rabbits with head tilt are likely to need many months of antibiotics. My Tilly had three, but I know of people who have had their rabbits on them for longer, even up to 8 months or so.

For his head tilt, I would also suggest doing massages, giving heat therapy (you may find he appears better on warmer days) and also doing physio with him. It will be a rough journey but if you're seeing some improvements then you're heading in the right direction.

Back