• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Laboured breathing- should we be concerned?

thebuz

Warren Scout
Our 5 month old is scheduled to be neutered on Saturday and when we took him in previously to the vet he got a clean bill of health except they found worms so we were given medication to give him. Last night we were giving him the syringe. Now this is quite the feat as he absolutely hates being picked up so I had to hold him very tightly to give him his meds. He was breathing extremely heavy and seemed to be wheezing almost but as soon as he was put down and left to his own devices it seemed to stop. He has only done this before when our 4 year old bun was running along side his cage and he was all wound up from seeing her. He has no other signs of sickness and I'm sure this is just anxiety driven but wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen with their bun.

Thoughts? :roll:

:wave: i would personally get him checked out by the vet again...:?
if it happens again try filming it on your mobile or something...
it could be nothing but it could also be something like a heart problem....
if you do manage to film it someone on here might be able to help or it could also help the vet in diagnosing any issues:)

His respiratory rate and effort will increase if he is stressed ie whilst being given medication etc.

If it immediately returns to normal once the stressful situation is over then I doubt that there is a serious underlying health problem. Just mention it to your Vet when you have your next appointment.

I already called the vet today to let him know about it just to ensure that he really looks him over before going forward with the neuter.

I have not seen him do this unless he is really really wound up like when his soon to be girlfriend was running alongside his cage and when we gave him his meds. He has been fine all day today and eating/drinking like a horse so can't see any other signs of concern. He has since he was little always honked very quietly under his breath when he is running around. He stops as soon as he plops down. Could this be related or do we just have a very exciteable bunny?

I already called the vet today to let him know about it just to ensure that he really looks him over before going forward with the neuter.

I have not seen him do this unless he is really really wound up like when his soon to be girlfriend was running alongside his cage and when we gave him his meds. He has been fine all day today and eating/drinking like a horse so can't see any other signs of concern. He has since he was little always honked very quietly under his breath when he is running around. He stops as soon as he plops down. Could this be related or do we just have a very exciteable bunny?

The honking is what Bucks do as part of the courting ritual, when they are feeling .....ahem........ 'excited'.........

LOL.. that's what I've read but he's done it already for a few months now.... Do we just have an exceptionally horny bun???? LOL

i had to get my bun castrated at 16 weeks old cos he was humping my female (she was 3 years old at the time and tatally unimpressed lol!)

Its just bunnies! Hence the saying!

LOL.. that's what I've read but he's done it already for a few months now.... Do we just have an exceptionally horny bun???? LOL

No it sounds pretty normal, male buns start to mature from 10-12 weeks old so I don't think it's surprising for that to have been going on for a couple of months already :) Good luck with the neuter!

Ok good to know... I'm nervous as to be expected but excited to get the neutering done. I know it's for his well being and then we can get closer to bonding our sweet pair. Right now I think he'd hump her silly and I can't imagine she'd like him very much if that were to happen! :lol:

Back