• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Overgrown Front Teeth

Pipkinbuns77

Young Bun
Hello,
i've just taken on the cutest little 9 week old lionhead bun who was rescued by some people and taken to the vets. she has awful front teeth that have curled up into her mouth, they asked for her to be pts as they have had to syringe fed her and they can't afford to have the teeth removed. the vet asked them sign her over so she could be rehomed and now i have a new bun! the vet burred her teeth and will remove them when she is settled and we're happy shes fit.

What i want to know is how she'll fare without these teeth? i've had many rabbits but none without teeth. Also is this fair on such a young bun? i only got her yesterday and have put her with my lonely boy and they are so happy already! i have totally fallen in love with her and she loves nose rubs already (as long as i move very slowly).
Any thoughts and advice please

Thank you x

Last edited:
She should be fine - there are a few buns on the forum with no front teeth. One of my mums buns has no front teeth and gets along with no problems - he does has to have veg chopped up small for him though and hay in bite sized pieces.

You might find with a better diet her teeth dont over grow again or that they dont need doing that often. Well done for taking her on :D

I was wondering if a better diet might help, she seems to adore hay so i went and got a few different types and have piled them high in her hutch! is there a type thats better than other for teeth or are they all the same? xx

Our Squidgy bun (now at RB) had no front teeth, we had them removed as they didn't match up and kept overgrowing.
He was over 8 years old when he went to the bridge and never had any other teeth problems.
We used to chop his veg and hay up for him, and he was a very happy bunny!
I think stalky hay, like timothy hay and the dust free stalky hay is best for their teeth, but whatever hay they will eat is good.
Well done for taking on this bunny - sounds like she's fallen into good hands!

I'm just glad i can help her, i have been looking for a little female to bond with my little man for awhile and then when she turned up it seemed like it was meant to be!

I have another question (sorry) which is should i wait to get her teeth done at the same time as getting her spayed as this would mean only one anaesthetic then or is that too much? i'm happy to take her in to have her teeth trimmed regularly until she can be spayed.

Heres a pic of her

frithgarden.jpg

This is her meeting dandelion
Dandyandfrith2.jpg

Reply to rabbit with problem teeth

I had a rabbit with problem teeth years ago, he had to go for them cut every month, it was never a problem and it didn't bother him. My friends rabbit had problem teeth, she was having it's teeth cut every month when the vet advised her to have them removed. When she did her rabbit stopped eating and so had to have it put to sleep a couple of weeks ago :(

Back