• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

i think we need help

hey my rabbit is not moving, its not eating, it had an abysis on chest area, which popped about a week ago, leaving a.. 3cm wide about 0.5-1cm deepcrater in her side, this has now fallen off leaving a pale coloured scab. its normally very bouncy etc but now it just doesnt do anything, though it does still drink occasionally.

while it had the absis/after it popped/after the scab fell off, the rabbit never seemed in pain, you could touch the area without any kind of response, and it was eating/moving/drinking perfectly normally untill this morning

we would love to take it to the vets but we really cant afford it for the next few days... aka we can afford to take it on friday when we get payed, but we really dont know how much vets charge just to look at it? we have 60 pounds right now, is that enough or are they going to charge more?

any ideas?

it has also been quite hot recenty around 25degrees, it lives in a cage indoors, but maybe this could have caused the slugish/non eating symptoms?

Vets. Now. No-one can give you any 'advice' other than this. Rabbits are prey animals that don't show their pain - your pet could be in agony and hiding it. :(

A rabbit not eating is very serious - without immediate treatment your rabbit is likely to die.

It will probably cost a lot more than £60 - but you are breaking the law by withholding treatment.

Your bunny needs to go to the vets NOW!

If you can't afford it, ask them if you can sort out a payment plan.

I am sorry to say that if you wait until Friday, your bunny might no longer be with us :cry:

This post is also (( Here )) .

ETA: If you read the coloured box above this section of the forum it clearly states:

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please believe me; this is an urgent situation as I have stated in your other post. :(

Last edited:
This sounds urgent :( I don't think it can wait until Friday. I know it's difficult when there are money issues, and you will have to go to out of hours so it will be expensive, but you might lose your rabbit if you don't go asap.

Your rabbit sounds seriously ill and needs to see a vet asap. Take the £60 with you and tell them that's all you have until Friday and ask if you can pay that and settle the rest when you get paid.

If she has had an abscess it's highly likely she has a serious infection due to it being left untreated and she will be feeling awful and needs treatment from a vet immediately.

As has been said, go see a vet. It worries me that you refer to your bunny as 'it' the whole way through that post.
She is a living thing that's experiencing pain and you should care about her enough to have taken her to the vet while the abscess was still there.

I'm sure the vet will sort out a payment plan for you in such an emergency. The pdsa may also be able to help you out if you're on a low income.

In all honesty its posts like this that really annoy me!
Simple fact is: If you actually care for your rabbit, you will not deny the treatment that she so clearly needs now! You can work something out with the vets when you get there. No vet should refuse to treat an animal in need.
As Battlekat said, you keep referring to your bunny as an 'it', she deserves more than that!

The simple fact is, whether you can afford it or not, withholding necessary veterinary treatment is cruelty and is against the law. Call your EV now.

I'm in agreement with everyone else - you really need to get your bunny to a vet as soon as possible. Most vets are understanding about money problems and you should be able to sort out a payment plan. If your vet won't let you do that, try a different vet, try several vets if you have to until you find one. The longer you leave it, the less chance your rabbit has or recovering.

If you are unable to go to the vet right now, you need to try and get your rabbit to eat something. Try all her favourite foods, treats, veggies, grass... even try 'naughty' things like fruit, yoghurt drops, even rich tea biscuits (I believe a biscuit has saved the life of my bunnies more than once!). It's really important to get something in her system to keep her guts on the move.

If you're really adamant that you cannot take her to the vets then please take her to your nearest RSPCA and hand her over in the morning. It's not fair to leave her suffering because you haven't got enough money right now (I know this probably can't be helped but there is the payment plan option with the vet or could you possibly borrow some money from family or a friend?). The RSPCA would probably pet her to sleep to be honest but that's better than her dying in pain.

... i didn't come here to get flamed about my money situation, you neither know nor will probably ever understand what we have been through in the past few days. so please dont comment on what you don't know, i know your just worried about the rabbit but that should really be beneath you, i assume very few of you are children anymore. act like it.

we never said we were 'witholding' any sort of treatment, what i was asking was how much we could expect to pay, nor did i know that vets offered budget plans.

i am fully aware of the fact rabbits are 'prey' animals, however just because they dont cry like most larger animals, their body language does. and untill last night the rabbit had shown absolutley no abnormal signs, it ate drank and bounced around chasing the cats about the house perfectly happily, it cant have been more than 45 minutes after the rabbit became sluggish that we began to worry, and i posted on here within the hour. it was 10:45 and i couldnt get hold of any vets i tried over 6 in my area. we did finally get hold of a vets 3 and a half hours a way, but the rabbit died not long after 20 minutes in the car.

the reason i called it 'it' is because we had only had the rabbit for about 8 days it was very young and the people we bought it off didnt know wether it was a boy or a girl the 'her' remark i made was just a typo, secondly we cant remember its name... :) we bought 2, hoisky and poisky, which was which god only knows, we forgot about 10 minutes after we named them.

we noticed its (what was then a very small spot) 2 days after we bought it. it was little more than a freckle then so we thought nothing of it. the abscess grew and popped in the last 36 hours.

finally it was not my rabbit it belonged to my wife, the fact she was awake all night crying and has now had to go to work for a 10 hour shift with no sleep in the last 36 hours(notice the wife hasnt been to sleep since its issues) prooves she cared for the rabbit very much as far as im concerned. if your wondering why we didnt take it to the vets earlier i have been away (with the car) for the past 2 days trying to make sure we dont loose our house after my buisness collapsed due to a buisness partners fraudulent activity, costing me just over 120,000 pounds. the nearest vet is an hour away and there is no kind of public transport, nor do we have any friends on family within a 5-6 hour journey due to our recent move just over a month ago

im not a cold person, i just rationalise, please dont mistake my seeming detatchment as lack of care, because you would be wrong.

thanks to the few who offered help, as to the childish on this forum, yes i know there are some on every online community, you know how you are, grow up a bit and please try to be part of the real world if you dont have something constructive to say, really no need to say anything, it doesnt all work out like a fairy tale sometimes people go from riches to rags in literally 48 hours. the perills of life.

the reason we had only 60 pounds is because my wife doesnt get payed till friday, and the rent comes out on thursday, we have exactly 60pounds over our rent in our bank, and im not loosing my house. as i said, i didnt know vets offered budget plans

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has been childish. If you read your post from a fresh perspective you come across as cold, and calling her "it" really makes an impression.

Honestly I think it shows your own chilsishness by attacking the people that are trying to help.

Your wife can "love" the buns as much as she wants....but not taking the poor bun to the vet the MINUTE the abscess showed itself is irresponsible and I'm sorry to say, but she probably died in an unthinkable amount of pain. :(

In the animal world Love is nothing. You have to show this love through your actions.

she did everything she could, bar spending 120+pounds on a taxi journey there was nothing she could do, and there was no way to afford such a journey. as i mentioned myself and the car were not home when it occured, and a freckle the size of a pin tip say 0.1mm across could just as easily been a normal skin growth much likea human freckle, mole or other such thing, we only noticed it because we were back combing her hair, it was the size of a flea when i left and skin coloured.

im very aware that okay he/she died in alot of agony, but sometimes theres nothing you can do in time. that is also a fact of life for any sort of living thing human animal or other, sad sa it may be.

if you were stranded in a house with your ill bunny with no transport or any way to get it to the vets for 24 hours untill the car came home, i really dont see what else you can do, she kept him/her warm and continually tried to feed/water him/her the moment he/she showed signs of trauma, beyond that, it was upto god, or nature, depending on your orientation. the moment we could do something, aka when i got home, we did. it was just too late. again as sad as it may be. a fact of life wether we like it or not.

back to the rabbits. is there anything we can do to help the other rabbit? as he/she is missing Her/his friend terribly and just looks so lonely. I've been told its a bad idea to put any 2 rabbits from seperate litters together, as thye probably wont get on etc, so just give him/her lots of attention for the next few days with cuddles and treats or is it possibly an idea to try and get him/her a new play buddy?

wether you like me or not tbh. i dont care. water off a ducks back. i readily accept life sucks sometimes. its horrible to see anything suffer, especially something someone so close to you cares so much about, but no matter what you may think there was really nothing we could have done in the time frame from when things went from normal to life and death.

as far as this forum is concerned the rabbits come first, so concentrate on that for now

she did everything she could, bar spending 120+pounds on a taxi journey there was nothing she could do, and there was no way to afford such a journey. as i mentioned myself and the car were not home when it occured, and a freckle the size of a pin tip say 0.1mm across could just as easily been a normal skin growth much likea human freckle, mole or other such thing, we only noticed it because we were back combing her hair, it was the size of a flea when i left and skin coloured.

im very aware that okay he/she died in alot of agony, but sometimes theres nothing you can do in time. that is also a fact of life for any sort of living thing human animal or other, sad sa it may be.

if you were stranded in a house with your ill bunny with no transport or any way to get it to the vets for 24 hours untill the car came home, i really dont see what else you can do, she kept him/her warm and continually tried to feed/water him/her the moment he/she showed signs of trauma, beyond that, it was upto god, or nature, depending on your orientation. the moment we could do something, aka when i got home, we did. it was just too late. again as sad as it may be. a fact of life wether we like it or not.

back to the rabbits. is there anything we can do to help the other rabbit? as he/she is missing Her/his friend terribly and just looks so lonely. I've been told its a bad idea to put any 2 rabbits from seperate litters together, as thye probably wont get on etc, so just give him/her lots of attention for the next few days with cuddles and treats or is it possibly an idea to try and get him/her a new play buddy?

wether you like me or not tbh. i dont care. water off a ducks back. i readily accept life sucks sometimes. its horrible to see anything suffer, especially something someone so close to you cares so much about, but no matter what you may think there was really nothing we could have done in the time frame from when things went from normal to life and death.

as far as this forum is concerned the rabbits come first, so concentrate on that for now

How old is the bunny left? (and does s/he have a name we can use?) I'd have her neutered when she's old enough and then bond her to another bun. You need to know the sex of this bun, so when you take her in for her jabs get the vet to sex her for you. Boys can be neutered when their testicles drop. (Usually about 4 months) Girls can be spayed at 5/6 months.

Rescues can help to find partners and will bond them for you.

You need to watch that she's eating and drinking over then next few days as she might mourn the loss of her littermate, and sometimes this can cause a loss of appetite, and she might go into statis. Statis is very dangerous, as buns need to eat continuously, and so vet intervention would be needed.

Any other questions, just ask :)

I've been in this position when I was 7 months pregnant, and I made sure that I got my bun to the vet. I ended up with my neighbour and her three kids driving me. :wave: It's never impossible.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your rabbit.

I think it'd be best if you gave your remaining rabbit lots of human attention, cuddles, play with it, let it out to exercise and adventure as much as possible. Maybe think about getting a new rabbit as a companion when you're in a posistion to be able to afford vet bills. I don't think it'd be too wise to get another one at the moment going by what you've said about your cash flow problems.

It may also be a good idea to use a bit of the £60 to take your remaining bun to the vet and get her checked over in case the other may have had something contagious.

I hope she will be ok. :)

i wish we had neigbhours :( you literally could not get more remote than we are its a 45 minute walk to the nearest farm house, and we havent even met the people who live there yet. ermm well.. poisky is a nicer sounding name than hoisky so i guess we can formally name him/her that from now on wether thats right originally who knows :)

poisky is on my lap now, he/she dug a little hole in her shavings and sat in it.. never does that, i think h/s is missing the other alot.. atleast they werent together when it happened.

we will take poisky to the vets at 3 when i go to collect my wife from work to check h/s is okay

i wish we had neigbhours :( you literally could not get more remote than we are its a 45 minute walk to the nearest farm house, and we havent even met the people who live there yet. ermm well.. poisky is a nicer sounding name than hoisky so i guess we can formally name him/her that from now on wether thats right originally who knows :)

poisky is on my lap now, he/she dug a little hole in her shavings and sat in it.. never does that, i think h/s is missing the other alot.. atleast they werent together when it happened.

we will take poisky to the vets at 3 when i go to collect my wife from work to check h/s is okay

:) Just give her lots of cuddles. How's she eating? Lots of hay?

no hay, but poisky is loving the dandelion leaves and carrot stick! hay is stricktly kept in the rabbit hutch, our cats go crazy for it and monster our little guy likes to carry huge clumps of hay around in his mouth and deposit it all over the house and i only just vacuumed yesterday :D

Back