• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update: Bramble~ Not so good outlook.~ Post 4~ Big vibes for Bramble please!

Well, I just came back from another unplanned vet trip... Bramb's hock was a bit swollen when I got home about 0.5 cm raised more than normal all round, not sure wether it's something to do with a small sore area on the back of his leg from the urine scald we're trying our best to make better, or wether it's the strain of going a bit mad scooting round the kitchen last night for a longer period than normal (to the point where he wore himself out and couldn't sit up properly~ an occasional occurence: Mind says go! Body says no!)

He is now on:
Baytril - for snuffles which has dissappeared after 3 days of med as usual.
Flangy (or something >.<) - for his swollen leg.
Metacam - For arthritis (see below).

Best vet ever, didn't catch her name but she was brilliant. I asked her if she could check his back and leg out after I explained how it tied into his other problem and how I was wanting to try a metacam trial (thanks for the advice guys :) ). She gave him a ~full~ ~thorough~ examination by hand feeling this, stretching that, testing this, and pulling that. She said there was no nerve damage, but some muscle wastage, which is almost definitely due to arthritis. She spoke about dosage and how there's a decent chance it will help him, and help his swollen leg as well, so we're trying it, and I'm hopeful! But still worried about the swelling... she said Sudocreme would be a better barrier than E45 (what the previous vet suggested).

I'm still trying for him, and he seems a little bit quieter than usuall today but no wonder, I would too if my leg was swollen -_-. I'm hoping very much and praying the swelling will go down and the metacam will help him feel more comfortable. He's still beating up Missus Bunny and grooming her a bit today too, as well as the normal stuff. I wish I could tell him to take it easy for a bit!

Vibes much appreciated!:)

Last edited:
My lovely old bun has got an odd back leg which also has a slightly misformed claw and the leg is restricted and stiffish, he can use it to jump and kick but balances all his weight on his other foot (his balancing leg/foot I call it) this means he pee's on his balancing leg all the time, which we are treating and cleaning and sudocreme-ing every day.

Okay so he's on 3.5 metacam a day for pain relief, and the vet said he has some muscle wastage due to the way he usually uses his legs. But his balancing leg he is now unable to balance on atall! His butt falls to the side and both legs kick alot ;__; (which is an improvement to kick with the stiff leg he seems to have a decent amount of toe and joint movement in it now) But he can't even sit up properly! And it's awful seeing him slipping and flopping to one side while he's scooting about and then falling if he tries to run. :( He seems to be eating a little less, not that much less, just enough leftover to cover the bottom of his bowl. When he needs dentals he stops eating completely and I think this is more than likely down to the various drugs (listed in post 1) he's on?

I have called my vets and asked the nurse who put him on it to call me back for advice, but I'd like your opinions and help too please! :) <3

Last edited:
The hock isn't swollen anymore atall, I didn't mention -_-; sorry, yesterday it had returned to normal size and today still normal, there is a small odd scabby bit on the inside but one time about a week ago he had one of those it came away after a couple of days and didn't look like anymore than a build up of fur and the E45 cream we were using, though I'm unsure about it, I'll check to see if it's still there after wash-bum-and-leg time later.

Last edited:
Back