• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female rabbit swollen genitals

Alicia

Mama Doe
Jelly is on medication which means she wees more, she often will sit in it. I clean her shed regularly and it hasn't been too bad but today it's been quite bad. I've just brought her in and cleaned her up and I noticed her genitals look swollen on one side to me. I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like, and I don't know if this is just irritation because she was a bit damp from the wee.

She's now cleaned up and sitting in a towel but should I take her to the vet? Sorry for the not very nice photo, will try and work out how to add it to post

I can't upload a photo, but just to add she's vaccinated and I can't see any other signs of myxi

I would get her vet checked tomorrow. It probably is inflammation caused by being constantly wet from wee, but only a proper examination will ascertain what the exact problem is. She will need treatment regardless of the cause.

Back