• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how can i get him to eat more hay??

beccimarie

Mama Doe
as most of you already know, casper is now a dental bunny, so getting hay down him is very important, although he isnt very found of it, he will nibble a bit but he doesnt eat as much as my other rabbit poppy, he would rather have his greens and pellets which isnt the best, iv tried rationing his pellets but he just wont eat anything then and i dont want him to loose more weight not after his dental problems, just thought id ask if anyone had any good ideas what they do with there buns =] :D

I hide oats and bits of herbs and dried fruit anything to get Julie digging through her hay. She is a pretty good hay eater now but use to not like hay at all until she would accidentally try some.

Have you tried different types of hay? Mine love Burns green oat hay. Also how about readigrass instead/as well?

As Muppet 2 says, I'd try different types of hay. I know what you mean by not wanting him to lose more weight but I honestly think while he's got nice bits to pick out, as well as pellets and veg, he might not feel he needs as much hay.

I'd try cutting down the pellets and veg a bit and trying oat hay and readigrass. When I tried to mix nice bits in for my old foster bun Rosie (who wasn't a good hay eater to start with!), she'd just pick out the nice bits and still wasn't eating the hay itself!!

thank you for all the posts sorry i havnt wrote back for a while, i will try different types of hay and cut down on the veg and pellets its very hard because i worry about him so much, silly really because i know whats good for him and whats not so good you just want to please them, i have just found a funny looking lumps in his ear so once the vets has mended him bless him ill get right on and cut down his nice food :D anyone got any ideas on kinds of hay and where you get it from?

and funny you should say about the water because i don't think he does drink alot but its hard to tell with two buns living together but poppy defiantly drinks more

same here

Our 2 don't eat much hay either, and I feel we should try a bit harder to get them to eat it. When they are running free in 'their' garden they eat lots of grass, which I guess is mostly what wildies live on, so it can't be too bad. But back at base they like their Excel and their veggies.

By the way, this Science Selective I keep reading about, that so many of you here feed to your buns... Where do we get it? I don't think I've ever seen it on sale.

well he will nibble on our plants when he is out and eat grass roots but hay he always turns his nose up at and pushs it away!

excell you get get from mosts vets sell it and pets at home if thats any help =]

SS

Thanks, yes, it's relatively easy to find Excel, and our 2 do like it, but I don't know where to get Science Selective...?

not sure

Opinion on here seems to be divided. I thought I'd try some, and maybe alternate between the two, while encouraging them to eat more hay. Not sure if it'll work - at 5 they are both a bit set in their ways!

ah if you find out i may give it a go, but i may have the same problem as caspers nearly 8 and he really is the fussyest bun i know! my other rabbit on the other hand will eat anything you put in front of her and her hutch :lol:

I buy my hay from The Hay Experts: www.thehayexperts.com. My two like the Alfafa King timothy hay and the Burns green oat hay. They sell 'taster packs' - half a dozen or so small packets of different types of hay so you can see which your rabbits like most.

They also sell Science Selective - you can get it various places though. My vets sell it. I think Pets at Home sell it and I've seen in independent pet supplies shops.

Back